Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fake flowmasters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fake flowmasters?

I heard a while back that someone in our area was selling knockoff flowmaster mufflers. A buddy of mine just got his exhaust done and we think he may have gotten a fake one. First the casing is a shiney silver, almost like it was painted. Second, it doesnt have flowmaster stamped on it anywhere. BUT his receipt says "flowmaster". Anyone got any info on this?

Please, dont make any hate comments.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Flowmaster lost it's pattent years ago. Pattents only last 9 yrs I think. Anyhow, Flowmaster copies have been out for quite some time.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First...what's "your area"

I've had flowmasters over the years that didn't say "Flowmaster" on them....I've gotten them in all kinds of colors and finishes as well so unless you are REALLY unhappy with the tone and you feel you paid too much (relatively speaking) I'm not too sure I'd worry about it
Old 02-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

I m in VA. On Trucks yesterday, they had a flowmaster muffler commerical on there, and it said, all their mufflers are stamped with the flowmaster name. I have a flowmaster on both my trucks and both have flowmaster stamped on them. Its more of a prinicipal, quality and price thing. The shop charged him $90 for it. He ask for a flowmaster, was told it was a flowmaster but with it not being stamped flowmaster it just seems fishy.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey, i got a used single chamber flow with the stamp and a 3" turndown welded to it ill sell ya for 50 bucks.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All flows I have seen have had flowmaster stamped on em so I dont know what to tell you.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouold say its a knock off. Every flowmaster I have ever had has had flowmaster stamped on it. I bought my Father the fake 40 series for $29 each and look the exact same but no flowmaster stamp. They even say inlet like the flows do. I would go back to the muffler shop if I were you.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Its not my truck its a friends. But he did take it back, bought a flowmaster from a local parts store for $69, and the muffler shop refunded his $90 and installed it. Big difference in the sound. BUT you can bet I ll never let em do exhaust work on anything I have.

You know most people would ve just glanced at the muffler, it did look like a flowmaster, thought it was a real one and never thought anymore about it. The owner of the shop only said, "well it happens".
Old 02-13-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Not all Flowmaster mufflers have Flowmaster stamped on them. For instance the 4th gen Fbody Flowmaster exhaust with 80 series muffler doesnt have Flowmaster stamped on it.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maddboost
Not all Flowmaster mufflers have Flowmaster stamped on them. For instance the 4th gen Fbody Flowmaster exhaust with 80 series muffler doesnt have Flowmaster stamped on it.
Because it's so embarrasing?

Quick Reply: Fake flowmasters?