Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Factory shocks on lowered truck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory shocks on lowered truck!

Well, I posted before about putting the stock shocks back on my truck to compare the ride characteristics compared to the Edelbrock IAS shocks. After driving around with the stock shocks on for 2 weeks now, the ride is much nicer, and it hooks up a little better off the line, cause now when I floor it, the rear can hunker down a little bit better. The ride is still hard, but not just bone jarring hard compared to rough roads with the IAS shocks. I still bounce the rear in the air on big dips on the highway. I got 9 way adjustable DoestchTech coming for the front and rear, but they said that would be a couple of weeks.

What is real surprizing is that I have not noticed one bit of handling performance loss. Actually the truck on rough roads sticks to the road a little better and feels more in control. Maybe I am being a little whinny about the rough ride, but I felt like it was beating the crap out of me each day.

I know that the shocks are not designed for the new range of motion that the lowered suspension has, but I have not bottomed out yet and that is with my normal driving habits. I was wondering also if anyone had been running the stock shocks on their lowered truck for a while, and if so how long they can last?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

LOL, when i did my 2/4 i never bought shocks cause i thought it was gonna be a temporary thing.. (it is now, i have parts in the mail. LOL) but ive had the 2/4 on for almost a year now, and the stock shocks are still good
Old 02-15-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2/4 drpo aswell and I am considering some after market shocks. Tha ride is not rough but it's not as smooth as it used to be.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's the Edelbrocks, with the automatic valve, the shocks slam shut or super firm when cornering or doing fast motions. The rough roads, or dips in the freeway cause guick pumping of the shocks, thus making them lock up tight. Yeah they ride great when on smooth roads, but what doesn't. I was scared to run anything else, cause I thought I would loose my handling performance, but man not at all that I can tell. The ride is still firm, but not bone jarring anymore. I am sure it is the stiff Hotchkis kit.

I will report on the DoestchTechs when I get them. They are supposed to be able to go half as firm as stock settings, or rock hard!!! Makes me wonder if I can get a smooth stock feeling ride again?!?!?!?
Old 02-15-2004, 03:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've had the stock shocks on for over 3 years now. I did replace them but still stock size. Monroe Reflex up front and Gabriel airshocks out back.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, if I get the 2/4 drop, I should get stock replacement shocks instead of Edelbrocks? Mine need to be changed, and I was just going to swap to the IAS shocks, but if I don't have to spend $300, then that would kick ***. What brand comes stock, Monroe Reflex? Thanks guys.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, most drops are really soft compared to the hotchkis kit drop. The Hotchkis kit is very firm and awesome handling, its just that I live around crappy roads and get tired of the ruff ride. To me the stock shocks ride nicer with my setup, plus with a fleetside bed that weights 200lbs more than mine, your ride will be nicer than on my stepside. Even the stock shocks are a little firm for me, this is why I am getting the Doestch Techs, cause they can be adjusted softer than stock with no problems of bursting or leaking fluids. You can set them to a level that feels like you have no shocks, but then the ride got bouncy and out of control in the truck I drove with them.

Oh stock are bilstien shocks, but not to the level of aftermarket bilstiens which are valved more firmly. Monroe Matic shocks ride real soft, and the Reflex is about factory from what I read. Also stock replacement Tokico's are actually rated to handle lowered suspensions. They are like $34.00 a piece.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

I wish now that I hadn't sold my stock shocks - I dont have a Hotchkis drop but its 2-4 and its a bit too harsh sometimes - I didn't like the Doestch Tech shocks (I think they were nitro slammers?) I had on originally, they were just crappy and harsh - how much are those adjustables and where do you get them?
Old 02-15-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm how do u think the Edelbrock IAS shocks would react on stock height?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Shocks

Originally Posted by Tokez420
hmmm how do u think the Edelbrock IAS shocks would react on stock height?
Well guys, hurry up and report on your shock experiences in regards to the adjustable type.
I picked up some hellwig sway bars for the front and back on my 01 C3 and some AIS shocks to go with them. Everything is still in the box and returanable, so I'm waiting to hear the results of the adjustable shocks.

Quick Reply: Factory shocks on lowered truck!