Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fact or Fiction? Lifters need to soak in oil overnight before installing???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fact or Fiction? Lifters need to soak in oil overnight before installing???

Sooooo do lifters really need to soak in oil overnight prior to installing?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Soak witht hem standing upright or plung them a cpl times while bathed in oil.

It fills them with oil and lubes them proper before your cam beats the snot out of them.

I have always done it, is it mandatory, i dont know because everyone i know who builds, does it also.
Might be one of those myths that just get passed down over the decades and nooone wants to risk killing a cam, lifter or valve train if they are wrong and dont pre load/libe them.

I bet the geeks on the power masters youtube channel would find out. They love busting old myths like this.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:48 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I soaked mine before installing them.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a myth. Well, sort of. The idea is, as stated above, to pre-fill hydraulic lifters. The thing is, soaking them doesn't do this. You can disassemble each lifter; fill with oil; reassemble. Very messy and tedious and risk losing a spring clip or other small part. You can get a syringe and fill each lifter through its oil feed hole. This works and is pretty easy. An Eagle "pump" type oil can can be used instead of a syringe but you'll end up squirting oil all over yourself and everywhere else, most likely. You can try submerging each lifter and then try to pump the plunger its full stroke, which should purge air and draw in oil. This should work also but is not as easy as it sounds.

I guess it depends on the manufacturer, but the most recent lifter job I did was on my Twin Cam Harley. The lifters are pretty much identical to Chevrolet lifters. They were completely full of oil from the factory (they are S&S lifters; not Harley).
Old 09-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

What do you have to lose by soaking them in oil? Usually these questions have a downside if you do what you're asking about, but in this case there's nothing. I've dropped a lifter before because it was soaked in oil and slippery....but that's about all I can think of.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

It's a waste of time but feel free. If the engine sits any amount of time afterwards that oil is long gone... and as stated you won't prefill the lifter by letting it sit in oil either. Prelubing before startup is what matters.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Just prelube the motor. Make sure you clean the new lifters once you get them.