Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had read somewhere on here, maybe over on ls1tech, that the x-pipe mufflers dont give you any real gain since they are mounted farther back than a conventional x-pipe would be. They are also preforated inside so the crossover effect is limited.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I'd go from the 3.0 collectors to dual 2.5", with the x-pipe and dual mufflers or a good dual in/out muffler...I've heard that if it's dumped it will drone, but with the right mufflers on there you may be OK. I had an exhaust thread recently and someone posted up how there dumped exhaust system didn't drone (search "my turn for an exhaust thread"). I like the external x-pipe better than the x-magnaflow, just my preference. You could do the exhaust, then if it drones, run pipes over the axle and dump it back there, maybe a little higher off the ground, that *should* take care of the drone if you have it. I'm going to run single 3" with an 18" 5x8 Magnaflow dumped before the axle...have a feeling that it's going to be loud and drone like a sonofabitch, but drone doesn't bother me...I actually like to open up the sliding rear window and just listen to the sound of the exhaust, it's music to my ears
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Evil Eric
I had read somewhere on here, maybe over on ls1tech, that the x-pipe mufflers dont give you any real gain since they are mounted farther back than a conventional x-pipe would be. They are also preforated inside so the crossover effect is limited.
Good point, you want the x as close to the headers as possible to really have an equalizing affect...the x is supposed to help to scavenge the exhaust, since the pulses go by and actually pull each other through...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the longtubes and ory now with the stock catback pipe with a 3" magnaflow si/so welded on. its 18" too. Love the sound. but i have lots of leaks with the y pipe. also like i said i want that f body sound.

I may sell the y pipe and magnaflow and get a x pipe and possibly a dual in dual out 18" dynomax possibly?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Don't think that I've heard a dual in/out Dynamax, but if you have and you like the way it sounds, go for it Choosing a muffler is tough...a muffler that sounds one way on one set up can sound completely different on another, depending on what's going on in front of it...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wonder how two bullet mufflers would sound

edit = been watching you tube vids. most of the cammed f bodys with headers x pipe and dual 18" bullets sound awesome. Think i found my new setup. gotta order it all and sell this y and magnaflow now.

Last edited by slamdlsx; 04-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe i should re ask my question in a more approachable sense.

Anyone know how to make my truck have the f body sound?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Well you're going to have the F-body engine, now try to duplicate the F-body exhaust...check LS1Tech and see what the F-body guys are running. There was a guy here who put a F-body muffler in the back of his Silvy a while back, it was pretty cool...very different, I like that
Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I would have to agree with the posts above. You want the "X" as close the the engine as possible, and buy a good one. They are not all the same. I would say you are on the right track with the bullets or DI/DO muffler. Will you see any increase in performance? Maybe, but you are after sound more than power. The "X" will help you to find the F body sound you are searching for. From my experience, if you run the pipes out the back, you will be more likely to get the sound you want. Post up some pics and sound clips when you get it done! Good luck!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:16 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I knew that I saw an F-body muffler on a truck, check this out:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...f-body+muffler

Quick Reply: exhaust questions.