Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine Bogging after performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Bogging after performance mods

One, or more, of my valve seals were leaking, to the point I was running through a lot of oil and it was clogging my o2 sensor. I decided to tear it all down, and rebuild it better. Heads were ported and polished, added long tube headers, ported TB and a cold air intake. It started right up, no issues. It definitely has more power, but it bogs/hesitates below 3500 rpm. I'm not sure if it's the time, or a fuel issue, or just needs a custom tune. It's aggravating and I was hoping one of you might have encountered something similar. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by tlbeck1985
One, or more, of my valve seals were leaking, to the point I was running through a lot of oil and it was clogging my o2 sensor. I decided to tear it all down, and rebuild it better. Heads were ported and polished, added long tube headers, ported TB and a cold air intake. It started right up, no issues. It definitely has more power, but it bogs/hesitates below 3500 rpm. I'm not sure if it's the time, or a fuel issue, or just needs a custom tune. It's aggravating and I was hoping one of you might have encountered something similar. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
You need a tune.

It's more the headers causing the issue than the head work.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Needs a tune, a ported TB, headers and head work won't run right on a stock calibration.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Copy that. Suggestions? The stock transmission shifts don't help under full acceleration either.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by tlbeck1985
Copy that. Suggestions? The stock transmission shifts don't help under full acceleration either.
You're either going to have to do mail order tuning, remote tuning or dyno tuning.

I've used Nelson Performance in the past for mail order. It gets it running but it will run better with a remote tune session or dyno tune.

Atomic Performance is a remote tuner on this board.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by madmann26
You're either going to have to do mail order tuning, remote tuning or dyno tuning.

I've used Nelson Performance in the past for mail order. It gets it running but it will run better with a remote tune session or dyno tune.

Atomic Performance is a remote tuner on this board.
I've looked into a few local dyno tuners...not really much to go by on how good or bad they might be. I'd prefer someone that was recommended. I'll hit up Atomic, thanks man.