Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

electric fan and cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 08:44 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default electric fan and cooling question

several questions, i see that flexalite sells fans set up for the 99+(flx-282) but i can't find anyone that can get any right now, has anyone made the 280 model fit? was it hard to mount?

next question, alot of you seem to like the lt1 fans, i have alot of heat to get rid of and am thinking that the flxalite set up is probably a little better, what do you think? do you use the lt1 set up because it fits? i have the 28" wide radiator, is that what everyone has and the lt1 set up fits on there?

i think i am going to get the wider radiator, i think i can get a new one for under $300 and then either the 280 or the 282 if i can wait but i am not a paitient person.

anyone think having the tstat mounted down by the water intake instead of the output is silly, am i understanding this wrong? i am having alot of detonation problems and it seems that be the time the tstat get warm it will be alot hotter than 160deg. anyone mod their tstat? try to get it to open sooner? i think with the biger radiator and fan set up i might be able to keep this thing cooler.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: electric fan and cooling question

there is no such thing as a 282. the 280 is the fan for the 99+ trucks. i just got mine in about 2-3 weeks ago but i am up at school and my truck and fan are back at home. i'll be home in about a week and a half, i'll let you know then. i ordered the fan on april 20 and i finally got it on june 5. i paid around $400 for everything, but some are paying $100-200 for the lt1 fan. flex-a-lite told me that the fan is supposed to bolt up. the lt1 fan you have to do some modifications.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:27 PM
single digit dreamer

there is a 282, flex a lite shows this as the model number for the 99+, summit also shows this model number but it is on back order, that is why i am asking if the 280 is dificult to bolt up. the 280 is listed for the 92-99 trucks(5.7)
Old 06-22-2002, 02:32 AM
TECH Regular

well crap, i just ordered the 280 and now i have to send it back. here i talked to the company since like february and they told me that the 280 is for my '99 truck. that SUX!
Old 06-22-2002, 02:47 AM
On The Tree

the 280 will fit, on my truck all i had to do was notch out the fiberglass on the shroud as it was a little wide , that way it is flush with the radiator
Old 06-22-2002, 03:03 AM
TECH Regular

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rphinney:
<strong>the 280 will fit, on my truck all i had to do was notch out the fiberglass on the shroud as it was a little wide , that way it is flush with the radiator</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">other than that, did it bolt right up? man i am going to be pissed if i have to send it back. that is the only thing that is keeping me going up here at school. i just called summit and emailed flex-a-lite and bitched them both out.

how much horsepower do you think you gained? on the website it shows like 17 horsepower. do you agree?
Old 06-22-2002, 06:22 AM
single digit dreamer

i don't think either one of those fans will fit on your truck without some modification, both of those models are listed at 31 7/8" wide and my stock radiator is only 28" wide. i really want my truck to keep cool so i went ahead and orderd a 6.0 radiator($275 and 34"wide) and the 280 model fan, i can't wait for the 282.

my truck warms up to 1/4 gauge in about 2 minutes then it pauses there for maybe the next 5 minutes then it starts moving up again to close to 1/2 gauge. it only runs strong when it is right at the 1/4 mark. i think the stock clutch fan doesn't do anything untill it gets nice and warm so it is the real thermostat right now. hopefully this will fix that.

<small>[ June 22, 2002, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: parish8 ]</small>
Old 06-22-2002, 09:22 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

The best part of going to electric fans is getting rid of the clutch fan and shroud. I love the extra room.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will these Flexlite guys every get it straight
and together the 282 didn't even exist when i ordered the stoopid fans
i'm still waiting for my 280 which are the wrong ones for my 2002 5.3l sierra ?
so we are all in agrement that the 282 is the right part number 2000 and up trucks?
the outside measurements of my rad end to end are 34x17
damn these things better make a difference for all the hassle and phone calls i have made to get them
Old 06-22-2002, 11:35 AM
single digit dreamer

i dont know for sure but i am not reading it that way, on the flexalite site they say the fan is for all trucks with a 34 x 17 radiator, to me that is the core size, i measured a 6.0 radiator and it had a 34" wide core.

another thing to suport this is on the "mounting surface required it says 31 7/8" wide, you only have 28", another thing is that if it is 2 15" fans how could it be less than 30" wide and you have a 28" core. it seems to me they don't make one for the 28" wide core trucks that will just bolt in.

i could be way off here, i am hoping it is the wide one for me, i want to cover as much of the 6.0 radiator as i can.

Quick Reply: electric fan and cooling question