Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fan conversion and 4" air intake done

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Electric fan conversion and 4" air intake done

Finally did my LS1 electric fan conversion on my 2002 Z71. It really can't get much easier IMHO. I have HPTuners, so the PCM part is covered. Got the harness from Nelson, and it is truly an idiot proof setup, although IMO they could/should include a copy of the install instructions. I printed it from their site beforehand, luckily, since I didn't have internet access at work where I installed the fans.

I used 4 of the push thru style nylon doohickies, like that come with a transmission cooler, to secure the fans. The fan setup fits well in the radiator support and it's shroud covers 95% of the radiator core.

Once fan conversion was done, and bigassed stock shroud was gone, the upper radiator hose and Airaid air intake setup looked absolutely lost under the hood.

I decided to make my own air intake setup to compliment my modified stock airbox. The Airaid, and stock intake, both are necked down to clear the factory fan shroud, whereas a true 4" smooth transition setup is much nicer IMHO.

The only issue I knew I would have, was that the radiator hose was dead nuts right in the way of where a 4" tube would have to be, and fellow member Gordy M posted up a link in another thread that showed a simple "fix". The fix was to remove the radiator hose and "flip" it 180°. I would have probably not even considered doing that, but it worked out great,m and helped clean up the looks a little by eliminating the hose just hanging around in it's stock location.

Anyway, I used a rubber 4" I.D. elbow, a 3.5" I.D. sleeve (because MAF meter is 3.5" O.D. and TB is 4" O.D.), a 4" I.D. straight rubber connector (which fits over 3.5" sleeve on MAF), 4 hose clamps and a 12" section of 4" exhaust pipe. I just had to slightly tweak the airbox a little to get the tube lined up straight with both the MAF meter, and the elbow. I painted the tubing with a silver metallic paint and clearcoat. Turned out pretty well I think. I can damn near climb in between the fans and the engine to do any repairs, LOL.

BTW, LS1 fans seem to work great. Hard to tell with high ambient temps only being in 30's though. Coolant temps have been just as consistent as they have always been.

Sorry to ramble...
Attached Thumbnails Electric fan conversion and 4" air intake done-p1250002.jpg   Electric fan conversion and 4" air intake done-p1250003.jpg   Electric fan conversion and 4" air intake done-p1250004.jpg  
Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That came out great man, makes me grumpy that I dumped the jack on my Volant...where did you go for the elbows and such?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That came out great man, makes me grumpy that I dumped the jack on my Volant...where did you go for the elbows and such?
Thanks Billy. I had the elbow, pipe and clamps, but had to order the connector for the MAF end. I screwed up and ordered a 4" to 3.5" 45° reducer (since MAF is 3.5" OD), but 45° was way too much. I took the reducer, and cut the sleeve to go over the MAF, which luckily also fit inside of the 4" side perfectly. I pretty much took a $20 piece of rubber and cut it into pieces, lol.

I have about 7 more feet of the 4" pipe if you need any.

siliconeintakes dot com has the connectors (and probably any you'd ever need), and they shipped quickly, as well as being priced nicely.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine done this past weekend too. Thanks for the help, btw. It's amazing how much more room there is. Everything fits so well that now I feel like I need to clean the engine bay for the first time since I bought the truck (10 years ago).
Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by jpodell
I got mine done this past weekend too. Thanks for the help, btw. It's amazing how much more room there is. Everything fits so well that now I feel like I need to clean the engine bay for the first time since I bought the truck (10 years ago).
LOL, I hear ya! You can see areas that have been hidden for a LONG time.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy cow the efans clear out a lot of space huh? That's what irks me about the bend on the intake tube of the Volant, I could be using the wasted space on a smoother transition.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Holy cow the efans clear out a lot of space huh? That's what irks me about the bend on the intake tube of the Volant, I could be using the wasted space on a smoother transition.
No doubt. I actually saw that my AC belt is cracking on the serpentine grooves, but it'll be an easy job now.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How'd you get that upper radiator hose routed like that?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
How'd you get that upper radiator hose routed like that?
That's my stock upper hose. Just disconnect from radiator and thermostat housing and reverse it. The end that was on the radiator now is on the thermostat housing, and vice versa. Looks like it is supposed to be that way now.

The quicker you are, the less coolant you lose.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats a good idea with the radiator hose. Looks like everything came out clean, I will have to try this in the near future.

Quick Reply: Electric fan conversion and 4" air intake done