Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Edelbrock dual carb intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock dual carb intake

Hi all you carb lovers and haters. I'm dropping a gen 4 6.0 into my 78 blazer mud drag truck. So I'm not looking for mileage just big numbers. Has anyone on here purchased the dual 4 barrel carburetor intake manifold? what are your thoughts. And does anyone have pictures?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel if you are going the carbureted route, that you would still be best served using a single carb on an engine as small as a 6.0L. It may be one of the largest of the group, but at only 364cu-in, it’s still reasonably small. One good thing about the LS style engine platform when using dual carb’s is due to not having a distributor, the carb’s can be better centered over the ports for better distribution. If I were looking to go the route you’re planning and were looking for an off-the-shelf intake, I would seriously consider the new LS Modular “Hi-Ram” Style 2 x 4150 cast aluminum intake from Holley. Its use will require the addition of LS3/L92 rectangular style port heads though, which you’re 6.0L being a Gen IV most likely has, but you didn’t give any background info on it. It is intended for use on N/A or forced induction engines in the 6.0 to 7.0+ liter range, max power at 7000–8000+RPM.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 AM
Teching In

hey thanks for the reply, and I will take a look into that Holly. my 6.0 I'm working on isn't exactly a 6.0 any more. its bored to a 417, but its still just a short block. I have been searching for the intake i want before i get heads just for the reason you have stated. If i go edelbrock its ls heads if i go holly its l92 heads... Thanks for the picture that thing looks sweet. but yes i could go with a large single carb and it would probably be cheaper and simpler, but it gives me a hard on to pop the hood of an old truck and see multiple carbs sitting on top of it. my truck is street legal but sees 75% of its life off road so im planning on using 2 500 CFM quadrajets for their nicer off road manners as apposed to more street type carbs. Im sitting over in the middle east wearing a uniform for many more months so i have lots of time to figure out exactly what i want to spend my extra cash on.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Teching In

no one else has an opinion?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That intake would look cool on a street rod...like maybe a 31 Ford 5 window coupe, satin black with gloss flames, no fenders, 32 grille, and a 9 inch rear...just off the top of my head, not that I've ever thought about it before
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Ok i guess this is the real question... Do I go with the dual carb setup say dual 500 cfm carbs. which would look sweet or go with the more conventional single carb setup and say a 850 CFM carb. the single carb setup will be lets say simpler to do and cheeper i guess since i only need 1 carb. keep in mind its a mud drag truck but its also street driven so i will need an intake that helps build power down low to get the tires turning. i do have 4.56 gears in my axels to help turn my 40 in tires but low end grunt is still a must. so if i go dual i will go with the edelbrock over the holly because of the power ranges.

with the motor im building i have been guessing that with a diecent set of heads and a crank that is custom ground for my build i should be close to 550 hp at the crank.

i really want some advice from someone that has contemplated what im doing...