Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

EATON POSITRAC

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EATON POSITRAC

Limited slip is the same thing as posi
CAN SOME ONE EXPLAIN NOW IM CONFUSED. JUST WHEN I WAS FIXING TO GO TO BED. ILL NEVER GET TO SLEEP NOW
Old 10-01-2003, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

THAN WHAT DO I WANT TO MAKE BOTH WHEELS SPIN?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

NOT REALLY SPIN BUT APPLY EQUAL AMOUNT OF POWER TO BOTH WHEELS?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They.. are just messing.. with you.. in your 1st post you stated "I WANT TO DO IS CHANGE OUT MY LIMITED SLIP FOR A POSITRAC REAREND." but you meant change my open diff for a posi or lsd. Posi and lsd is the same animal and thats what you need.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

DAMN GOT ME AGAIN
I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS, ILL HAVE TO PAY MORE ATTENTION TO HOW I WORD THINGS. LOL
THANKS I THOUGHT I WAS GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. NOW THAT IM STRAIGHTENED OUT ON THAT I CAN GO TO SLEEP AND ORDER THE EATON TOMORROW
THANKS AGAIN GUYS
Old 10-01-2003, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No one is messing with you, that is a common misconseption with the statments of posi, limited slip, or lockers. A lot of people do not know the difference between the meanings. Pontiac back in the hayday started calling their limited slip, posi-trac, and it just stuck with a lot of people, but most didnt' know whether it was a true locker, or positive traction device or if it was a limited slip. A locker is like the stock G80 it will completely lock both axles together and give exactly equal traction to each wheel. Well the only problem with the G80, is it does not positivily lock the axles, and is prone to blow with little power due to its slamming together design. Now a Detroit Locker, or a PowerTrax is a true locker, but both of those can unlock to give you subtle driving characteristics on the street, since a locked axle on the street would suck under most all conditions, and would cause one of the tires to drag around a corner. Better for the street is a limited slip, which most all use clutch packs that try to keep both axles locked together, but are designed to slip apart to allow one axle to freeturn in the corner. These are great for the street since they give good traction and good drivability. And lastly they have spools, which are a true extention of the axles, bringing them together into one axle, this is always locked together, and is mostly only seen on race cars or heavy off road vehicles. Spools give best traction, or true traction, lockers are second best, and limited slips are last. Now Auburns and Eatons are the best of the limited slips and give a lot of traction compared to factory units that come in the trucks, and both are rebuildable, since the average limited slips clutches wear out after about 60,000 to 80,000 miles. If you race your truck alot, don't expect ours to last much more than those numbers.

I hope this helps you.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

THANK YOU VERY MUCH HODGEE I WAS JUST CONFUSED EVERYONE I KNOW HERE HAS ALLWAYS CALLED AN OPEN REAREND A LIMITED SLIP. DONT KNOW WHY BUT ILL BE SURE AS HELL TO LET THEM KNOW THEY ARE INCORRECT.
I REALLY DONT WONT A TRUE LOCKER TO MUCH NOISE,(CLUNK) SO I GUESS ILL GO WITH EATON. HOW MUCH TO HAVE ONE REBUILT?(EATON)
Old 10-01-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man I have had the Eaton for over 30000 miles now and it still hooks like new. I can put one tire in the dirt and one tire on the road when I am delivering mail and it doesn't spin at all. I think you made a good choice. I don't know how much a rebuild kit is though. Just be sure to get the right carrier bearings! They changed for the new trucks.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

i found one on ebay for alittle over 300 shipped but it says i might need different carrier bearings and races. what exactly am i lookin for here. the guy has not emailed me yet on an answer.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

ok sorry about this i feel alittle dumb here.
the guy just emailed me and said that my truck allready has the correct carrier bearings and races. but that he can sell me 2 carrier bearings and 2 races for $30, plus sell me an intra locking carrier shims for $50.
anybody have any imput?

Quick Reply: EATON POSITRAC