Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

And easy IC for STS kits??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 03:23 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And easy IC for STS kits??

Check here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...25#post1664425

Heath found this baby on Ebay which is funny because I sell OBX products at my shop and have seen these but never had specs so I assumed it was 2" or maybe 2.5" inlet/outlet and made for Hondas so I never gave it thought.

The price is actually less than my cost on it by a lil so it's a smokin deal. Rick looked at my truck today after I told him about it and he said there is tons of room to put it wherever and fabing a pipe to to to it from the STS intake pipe would be a piece of cake. So for those who want something quick, cheap and easy this seems like a nice piece.

I'm still gonna run Alky but if I can get the IATs down to the 110-120deg range before I start spraying then I could realistically end up with well below ambient temps. Woot!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:31 AM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Nice addition, I've always wondered how an IC would benefit an STS setup.
Keep us updated on your iat's and what kind of boost you end up with.

later,

allen
Old 08-17-2004, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did someone say OBX?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

That looks like a sweet unit and the price is really good.

Some food for thought though. Boost and IC'd boost is a balancing act. A good IC will cost at least 2 psi at the TB. That's well worth it if your temps are out of hand (200 degrees), because the IC should drop 200 degree air down to about 100 degrees. The problem is that to get the same boost at the TB, you've got to raise the boost at the charger, which raises the charger output temps. Now all that said, here's a quote from the STS FAQ's that might shed some light:

What intake air temps do you get?
Intake Air Temps are a function of several variables. Ambient temps and Boost levels drastically affect IAT's. Most of our turbo systems get at least 50% Intercooler efficiency with 1/4 to 3/4 of a pound pressure drop. The actual numbers vary with our different kit applications as different vehicles have different air flow characteristics and lengths and diameters of tubing. In most cases, our 50% efficiency is comparable to about 70% efficiency with a 2-3 psi pressure drop across an intercooler.
...End quote...

My experience with super/turbochargers says that an IC doesn't do much good if you're gonna run below about 8 psi boost, because the output temps of the charger are not nearly as high at that level. Above that, an IC can do significantly more good in terms of less knock retard and more timing for the same octane (that can really help out). The big problem is that the relationship between boost and output temp isn't linear, that is, a 10% jump in boost can make a 20%-40% rise in temp. Now all this is a generalization and each setup is different, so there will be some exceptions to the rule.

HTH.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:22 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know what these babies flow? I've heard that as long as the A2A IC can outflow your tubing, it's fine, but otherwise go A2W.

No real knowledge here
Old 08-17-2004, 10:24 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TeeKay
Boost and IC'd boost is a balancing act. A good IC will cost at least 2 psi ath the TB. That's well worth it if your temps are out of hand (200 degrees), because the IC should drop 200 degree air down to about 100 degrees. The problem is that to get the same boost at the TB, you've got to raise the boost at the charger, which raises the charger output temps. Now all that said, here's a qulte from the STS FAQ's that might shed some light:

What intake air temps do you get?
Intake Air Temps are a function of several variables. Ambient temps and Boost levels drastically affect IAT's. Most of our turbo systems get at least 50% Intercooler efficiency with 1/4 to 3/4 of a pound pressure drop. The actual numbers vary with our different kit applications as different vehicles have different air flow characteristics and lengths and diameters of tubing. In most cases, our 50% efficiency is comparable to about 70% efficiency with a 2-3 psi pressure drop across an intercooler.

My experience with super/turbochargers says that an IC doesn't do much good if you're gonna run around 6-8 psi boost, because the output temps of the charger are not nearly as high at that level. Above that, an IC can do significantly more good in terms of less knock retard and more timing (that can really help out).

HTH.
A turbo will automatically keep the boost level in the manifold the same with the wastegate only cracking when the preset boost level is met. So 10psi boost at 170 degrees is significantly less air than 10 psi at 100 degrees. Adding an intercooler on a turbo system will give you huge gains
Old 08-17-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Quote: A turbo will automatically keep the boost level in the manifold the same with the wastegate only cracking when the preset boost level is met. So 10psi boost at 170 degrees is significantly less air than 10 psi at 100 degrees. Adding an intercooler on a turbo system will give you huge gains.

Black Blown, you're absolutely right, at 10 psi (and up) an IC can give you great gains! Just remember, though, to keep the same MAP, the turbo has to blow harder through an IC and the output temp of the compressor WILL rise. That's just physics.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TeeKay
Quote: A turbo will automatically keep the boost level in the manifold the same with the wastegate only cracking when the preset boost level is met. So 10psi boost at 170 degrees is significantly less air than 10 psi at 100 degrees. Adding an intercooler on a turbo system will give you huge gains.

Black Blown, you're absolutely right, at 10 psi (and up) an IC can give you great gains! Just remember, though, to keep the same MAP, the turbo has to blow harder through an IC and the output temp of the compressor WILL rise. That's just physics.
Agreed. I think in F8L's situation the benefits will probably outweigh the disadvantages.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Do yall think that a powerstroke, cummins, or duramax factory intercooler could work? People are usually willing to almost give them away after they upgrade to a banks kit, hypermax IC or ATS IC. If it would work be a nice cheap upgrade.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

that IC is "rated" don't know if it's true or not at ".2psi loss at 15psi, and 1000cfm, supports 800hp"

if that is anywhere near true it shouldn't make the turbo work much harder at all.

Quick Reply: And easy IC for STS kits??