Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Duramax questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Duramax questions.

I've got a few questions maybe you all can answer. My friend just bought the edge tuner for his duramax, '04 crew cab 4x4. He track tested it last night on level 5 and ran 15.7s consistantly with it being 85 degrees, and humid. His only other mod is a k&n air filter. What mods does he need to do to break into the 13's? What is the best catback, and cold air intake for a duramax? What stall converter, and slicks would you recommend? We wanna get this thing runnin fast, and to see some guys go when he fly's by em.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Propane
Old 06-13-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I bet that Level 5 is defueling like mad. I'd start with a few tranny upgrades first...

Valve Body - TransGo shift kit or the ATS Copilot. That will help keep line pressure up (like 230psi+!)

Converter - Suncoast or ATS, both are multiclutch and cut from a hunk of billet steel.

The will eliminate most of the slippage...then you'll have to think about the C2 and C3 clutches in the Alli. If you're doing work to it...I'd save some cash and do it all at once to keep labor costs down.

A fully built Alli w/ converter is around $4700-5500 I believe...not cheap but the warranty on them is insane...like no TQ limits!
Old 06-13-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Too Bad when you get it running good, you are going say when a twin turbo 8.1 blow by you. Sorry had to give you a jab.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muuhahahahaha, Im with you on that, I was thinking about that all day while i was driving from pismo back home going up the grades passing some people, thinking to my self how nice it would be to have turbos and just blow there doors off accelerating up it.
Originally Posted by 8100hammer
Too Bad when you get it running good, you are going say when a twin turbo 8.1 blow by you. Sorry had to give you a jab.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

well build that 8.1 twin turbo. bet the internals arent gonna like you. bet that tranny aint gonna like you. bet your fuel milage will be terrible. bet you STILL get drug by a diesel with low rpm power.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well its an allision so if it likes it from the dmax then it will like it from me, ( otherwise ill kick its *** ) gas mileage????whats that?????

oh im not talking crazy here but i mean i dont think 700hp should be to hard for a motor thats got almost 500ci

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
well build that 8.1 twin turbo. bet the internals arent gonna like you. bet that tranny aint gonna like you. bet your fuel milage will be terrible. bet you STILL get drug by a diesel with low rpm power.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Well hrm... I don't think a TT 8.1 would get too shitty of fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of it. The added torque of the turbo setup could help out actually. Besides that part-throttle boost/waste gate pressure is nice by itself.

I dunno how much boost is capable on stock pistons, but 7-10psi with a good tune I bet they could take. Also that motor is 9:1 comp, great for a street FI.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not trying to hijack the thread, do everthing that Hit Man X said to do. Or go to the dieselplace.com, and do search over there. buckets of info. Pay attention to screen name MTomac.
Anytime that any motor runs over 450hp in front of a Allison Trans, It will need upgrades soon to prevent trans from slipping or going into limp-mode. Whether you drive a juiced dmax or turbo 8.1, trans will to be gone through.

Far as internals going for the 8.1 I already have a good line on where to buy, forged pistons, new alum. heads, new intake manifold, and host of new grinds for camshafts. On a certain heads,intake,cam, headers combo 8.1 made tad over 505 hp n/a. Let see Dmax do that N/A.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Hell with a cam only on stock 8.1 heads (with full bolt ons), I don't see why 425-450hp (fly) can't be made. That motor is a bigger stroke of the 454. I'd probably run a pair of T63s or so.

They are so choked out it's not even funny.

8100 Hammer... didn't you pick up like 3-4mpg with a tune and the ghetto intake?

Quick Reply: Duramax questions.