Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dry Shot Harmful to Stock Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SallydaSilverado
my instructor told me that for every sec nos is injected it is the same as putting 10,000miles of wear on your engine and tranny
LOL, What F8L said.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

You need to spray before the MAF beacuse the MAF is what tells the fuel system to add more fuel to compensate for all the NAWZ!
Old 10-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SallydaSilverado
my instructor told me that for every sec nos is injected it is the same as putting 10,000miles of wear on your engine and tranny
i fell outta my chair just now cause i was laughing so hard. If that was true then i have amotor with at least 4 million miles on it then if not more
Old 10-11-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slow6.0
i fell outta my chair just now cause i was laughing so hard. If that was true then i have amotor with at least 4 million miles on it then if not more
You've sprayed more than 400 times on a stock motor? Awesome!
What setup and times are you running?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

suprisinly enough the motor is a GM Goodwrench 350 with cast pistons,powdered connecting rods, with 30,000 miles on it before i even started spraying it. the motor is in my 85 shortbed chevy and i just recently pulled it out to put a big block in it more suitable for a bigger shot. the truck only had 3.08 gears and i just ran 265/60/15 all terrain tires when i ran it at the track. The best time i could pull out of it was a 14.50@98 mph. The thing that hurt me the most was my sixtey foot times they were a whooping 2.846
i only had a 125 shot on it, i did try a 150 once but it started to cough so i let out of it and put the 125 pills back in it. I put the bottle on it just for fun to go **** the mustang guys off and i had know clue it would have lasted like it did when i started spraying it but i always made sure that i wasnt running to much timing and that i was always running enough fuel pressure. All in all the motor was a tropper
Old 10-11-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shandy294
Thanks for the replies....injector duty cycles and too lean possibilities...reminds me how little I know about computer-controlled engines.
One thing I was wondering...before or after the MAF sensor matter?...I have a open air filter.
That will depend on the kit you get.

The Venom kit that I have does not use the MAF sensor to adjust the fuel.
Venom kits use the 02's and TPS to adjust the injectior duty cycles.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2redgmc
That will depend on the kit you get.

The Venom kit that I have does not use the MAF sensor to adjust the fuel.
Venom kits use the 02's and TPS to adjust the injectior duty cycles.
That sounds like an awesome kit. How much did it run ya? Do you know their website?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Venom-performance.com

I have the VCN2000 kit. But the VCN1000 works the same way.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing that gets me about a Dry shot is that... It is probably safer for the engine if done right, as in taking timing out and getting a suitable fule system that's capable of getting enough fuel to the cyliners to make of for the n20.....

So you should retard the timing(typically 2 degrees for every 50 shot of nitrous from what i hear).... but since Dry shots are supposed to be sprayed before the MAF, then will the CPU tell the motor to enrich the fuel even more than it is supoosed to be???

also... when you aren't spraying or your bottle is empty, how much HP will be lost from the lack of timing on say a 100 shot w/ 4 degrees taken out?

I like the dry kits, but this is the only concern I have when comparing to a wet kit.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

I cant say much cause Im not very experianced with N20, this is just what I heard. But I have heard that even if you are using a dry shot, it does not matter if you spray before or after the MAF. Cause the MAF cant really read the Nitrous, an the only thing to do it just retard the timing* about like you said @8 for every 50 shot. But I really dont know much myself. That is just what I heard threw a few people. But I would really like to know what the real deal is.
Cause im about to install a dry shot on my 04 sbsc 5.3.

An if I do run a dry shot on my Nelson tune(that is not setup for N20 yet), what will happen?
An if Detenation does happen, will I hear it or fell it?
Cause I will stop if I can really hear or feel it.

Quick Reply: Dry Shot Harmful to Stock Engine?