Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Don't laugh! Silverado SS exhaust on my Hemi Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dad has a 05 hemi, and he just had the flowmaster 50s deltas put on it(dual exhaust/ 2 flowmasters). i have driven it quit a few times, and have not noticed one single bit of droan/resonance. i can only hear the exhaust when i accel. it sounds very good, but when just cruising, i hear nothing. i am pretty damned deaf though, but i dont think thats the problem. have you tried the flowmaster 50 delta series???
Old 03-23-2005, 04:38 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I think once you pass about 30 years old the drone becomes easier to hear. The older I get the quieter I like it.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

My Gibson Super Truck cat-back only had drone when exhaust gasses were cold. After the header install, it went away. Maybe add some headers to see if it changes. And if not, at least you will have headers for the next exhaust change.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:06 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
I think once you pass about 30 years old the drone becomes easier to hear. The older I get the quieter I like it.
Ummm, no. I can't get mine loud enough, and I'm 31. Hopefully headers and !cats will help out w/ that.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
I for one thank that's true, the older I get the quieter I do like it, at 45, I guess I'm now a stock quiet guy. Don't get me wrong, I like performance and speed still, just don't like loud noise of any kind. It also has to do with my left ear, it constantly feels like it's pressurized similar to when you're on an airplane and it needs to pop! Even now as I write this, it bothers me some. I've had it looked at, nothing really can be done. Maybe it's when I was young and I had my stereo CRANKING listening to AC/DC and feeling my ears ringing. . I've pretty much decided to go back to stock, I'm working on a deal with someone from DTW for his 04 muffler and tailpipe. I think I'm just done trying to find something that works for me. I could try the SS system but if it doesn't work or fit under the Ram, then I'm out even more $$. It's funny, the other day I took a ride in my buddies 97 Z71 which has a Flowmaster 50 series on it and is pretty loud on the outside. I could barely hear it and there was ZERO interior resonation, he has the 5.7L Vortec. I know stock works and the stock Hemi exhaust is really a pretty good system. If it ever stops raining, I'll do some before and after G-tech runs to see how much I lose from the Magnaflow vs stock.
Jim
Old 03-23-2005, 11:01 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Have you looked at the Flo-Pro HD muffler? I replaced my muffler (same as SS) with their dual-in single-out. There is no interior resonance, it is quieter at highway cruising speeds than stock and at WOT it sounds agressive yet mild. It obviously flows better as MTI was able to tune another 6 hp and 28 ft/lbs out of my truck. Odd numbers, I know, but I am quite (maybe it should be quiet) happy.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
Have you looked at the Flo-Pro HD muffler? I replaced my muffler (same as SS) with their dual-in single-out. There is no interior resonance, it is quieter at highway cruising speeds than stock and at WOT it sounds agressive yet mild. It obviously flows better as MTI was able to tune another 6 hp and 28 ft/lbs out of my truck. Odd numbers, I know, but I am quite (maybe it should be quiet) happy.
Thanks, that's an idea!
Jim
Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are probably sending your exhausts guy kids through college. Go back to stock and have someone slap your hand anytime you think of mufflers. I have also lost the taste for lound and put a Dynomax super turbo on my truck. I had it special ordered with a large case and three inch flow tubes. Sounds pretty good. Good luck in whatever choice you make.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

All i know is i like my SS catback.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:39 PM

Well, I found an SS exhaust and tailpipe, just not sure I want to try this though!? Kids through college, you got that right! Flo Pro advertises their 2501 HD muffler to have stock exterior and interior sound levels. I like the mellow rumble my exhaust has now, it's just when that rumble turns into an ear piercing HUMMMM, that's what bugs the crap out of me. The only system I know won't do that is stock, and it would be the cheapest route to take also. I'm tired of experimenting but I also don't want to give up. Not sure what to do?
Jim

Quick Reply: Don't laugh! Silverado SS exhaust on my Hemi Ram?