Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your Eaton posi do this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your Eaton posi do this?

About 8 months ago i replaced the stock diff with an eaton posi because too many one tire-fire's ate up my spider gears. I had never really noticed it because my truck is lifted now and i dont burn out, but the eaton doesnt seem to be working properly. It seems to get posi in the mud and stuff pretty decent, but if one tire has very little restriction and one doesnt...like if one tire was on ice and one on pavement...then the one with the least restriction will still spin, it sucks. Is there a certain type of oil im supposed to be using that may help? I asked the shop i bought it from and he said that it doesnt take anything special, just oil and additive. Is this normal, or should i loook into inspecting it further by taking it out? Also, has anyone used the locker kit for the front differential in their trucks? if so, how do you like it? thanks

Chad
Old 09-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Clutch style posi's do not truely lock. So if one tire has little or no traction, it will still do the one wheel spin. Be carefull, when it happens you are spinning your clutches and wearing out your posi. The clutches should be replaceable. As for fluid, many clutch style posi's require or suggest a certian type of fluid or an additive or friction modifier. But this won't help it posi any better. It usually is a more slippery fluid that will help the clutches slip a little easier when needed, like when making turns.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds about right. The amount of lockup you get is determined by the input torque. One wheel up in the air or on ice like that is not going to let any torque build up.
For fluid it should have 80-90wt non-synthetic and 4oz of limited-slip additive.

You have a huge lift and probably huge tires to go with it. I think the Eaton comes with 400-pound springs installed. There are 600 and 800 available. The springs determine preload. It might just be a good idea to step up to the 600.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I second that on the spring suggestion. Stepping up to a more agressive spring pack might help both tires spin regardless of what surface each tire is on. I've been in cars that have the 800lb springs in them, and you'd swear there was a spool or locker back there. I think it will increase clutch wear though...of course so will spinning one tire.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
I think it will increase clutch wear though...of course so will spinning one tire.
Any second opinions on that?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replies guys. I will definately look into the stiffer springs.

Chad