Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Do new lifters need to soak in oil for awhile?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of that derives from the old hydraulic flat tappet lifters though.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I've always soaked em...IIRC, I recently read on Crane's website that it isn't totally necessary but is good practice, as a few have mentioned here
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

dont forget to clean ur pushrods too
Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a head swap on my truck and put new lifters in. I took some of that red and gooey clevite bearing lube and just wiped the lifters down along with packing the needle bearings with the stuff. Put everything together and fired it up. Quiet as could be and had instant oil pressure. Remember, in an LS engine, the lifters get oil FIRST before the rotating assembly. I had oil pressure within 2 seconds of starting my truck with my high volume pump. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont soak them anymore. Drop the lifters in, pour some oil over them and throw the heads on. Prime the engine with the coil packs unplugged them start it up. Youve got 60+ psi of oil pressure shooting the through the oil galley do you really think that little bit of oil that can actually seep in there by just being static in an oil bath really does anything? Pouring oil over the lifters once installed will give them enough oil to lubricate the lifters during initial startup. In my experience very little oil actually gets into the body of the lifter due to the small orfice in the lifter body. Remember air bubbles have to make it out of the lifter body through the thick oil so the oil can take its place.

Theres a reason why gm dealers have a priming apparatus, I believe moregrip has one. Ive always just pulled the coil pack plug, turned it over for a few seconds and started it up.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I dont soak them anymore. Drop the lifters in, pour some oil over them and throw the heads on. Prime the engine with the coil packs unplugged them start it up. Youve got 60+ psi of oil pressure shooting the through the oil galley do you really think that little bit of oil that can actually seep in there by just being static in an oil bath really does anything? Pouring oil over the lifters once installed will give them enough oil to lubricate the lifters during initial startup. In my experience very little oil actually gets into the body of the lifter due to the small orfice in the lifter body. Remember air bubbles have to make it out of the lifter body through the thick oil so the oil can take its place.

Theres a reason why gm dealers have a priming apparatus, I believe moregrip has one. Ive always just pulled the coil pack plug, turned it over for a few seconds and started it up.
I've always done it with the fuel pump relay removed, dont like the idea of the injectors spraying raw fuel into the cylinders, especially on a fresh engine. I also like to prime with the plugs out on crank driven oil pump engines