Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Descreened MAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Descreened MAF

I've had mine descreened for about a year now. Are there any known problems with doing this mod? Are there any benefits to doing it?

To tell you the truth, I can't feel the difference from when I had the screen on and now. Oh ya, if I wanted to, could I just put the screen back on without any problems? If so, I hope I can find my damn screen (I hope my damn girlfriend didn't throw it out ).

What is the part number for new MAFs? How much do they generally cost? Will my truck's computer accept a new one if I put it on (that's if it's cost effective and it's worth putting a different one on)?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2003, 03:41 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Descreened MAF

Despite many claims that it does give a SOTP gain, I think it's all in their heads. Until I see a dyno of before and after, I won't believe it. I would imagine it would actually cause problems...but I don't really know.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might interest you.
http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox...maf-screen.htm
Old 09-11-2003, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

I had this same dilema a while back when I injested water and killed my maf. Everyones suggestion was to leave the screen in it. Since I bought one without a screen, since I was in a pinch, I just cut out the old one and placed it in the hole, works great to this day.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I descreened the one on my '99 NBS and didn't notice any difference in power. The '01 I have now still has the screen and runs fine.

I don't see the reason and have never seen any conclusive evidence for the positive for playing with the MAF on these cars...they seem to be really touchy about the meter.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:36 PM
14 Second Truck Club

some people feel gains...
some people dont.... some people feel that it hurt... i aint messin with it...
Old 09-11-2003, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

If Im not mistaken the ZO6 (LS6) MAF is the same as the trucks. However the ZO6 MAF has no screen. The reason the ZO6 can get away with no screen because it has a very straight air-intake track. The stock truck air-intake suck (both figuratively and literally) if the air-intake track is cleaned up, (straight and smooth) with say a UPD or FIPK, you will be ok. I de-screened my MAF about 6 months ago and feel a better man for having done it. If you are running a NOS 5177 kit it is recommended.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:25 AM

If Im not mistaken the ZO6 (LS6) MAF is the same as the trucks. However the ZO6 MAF has no screen. The reason the ZO6 can get away with no screen because it has a very straight air-intake track. The stock truck air-intake suck (both figuratively and literally) if the air-intake track is cleaned up, (straight and smooth) with say a UPD or FIPK, you will be ok. I de-screened my MAF about 6 months ago and feel a better man for having done it. If you are running a NOS 5177 kit it is recommended.
Well, I'l let you know about the Z06 descreened maf, mine will be here Monday. I also just got an UPD intake so my intake should be OK, it's a straight shot into the TB from the airbox.
Jim
Old 09-12-2003, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

[/quote]Well, I'l let you know about the Z06 descreened maf, mine will be here Monday. I also just got an UPD intake so my intake should be OK, it's a straight shot into the TB from the airbox.
Jim

[/quote]

I was wondering what (if anything) the Z06 MAF will do if installed on a truck. Anybody know? Is it essentially the same as descreening our MAF or is it setup to take different readings?

Old 09-12-2003, 11:31 AM

Well, I'l let you know about the Z06 descreened maf, mine will be here Monday. I also just got an UPD intake so my intake should be OK, it's a straight shot into the TB from the airbox.
Jim

[/quote]

I was wondering what (if anything) the Z06 MAF will do if installed on a truck. Anybody know? Is it essentially the same as descreening our MAF or is it setup to take different readings?

[/quote]
I've been told, now whether it's true or not is another thing, that the electronics are different on the descreened Z06 maf to adjust for the increased airflow. The sales literature I read when I bought mine is that "it flows 20% more air and can increase timing by 1-3* depending on application". We'll see if I wasted $95.
Jim

Quick Reply: Descreened MAF