Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

CROSSPOST: FLP vs. Rossler vs. Local shop + parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 02:26 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CROSSPOST: FLP vs. Rossler vs. Local shop + parts

Hey all, (originally posted in the AT section, so if you read that )

My plan was to do a few light mods and then quit. I, uh, slipped a little and am now in the spot where those few "light" mods are gonna put my tranny in the dirt.

DOH! Forgot to mention: 408 will be 9:1, Boost will be 15 psi+ (running meth). No idea of the HP numbers yet, but far far outside the range of the stock 4L65E ( I hope ) This is my daily driver, so I am interested in performance and durability.

I need some input on the age old questions:
To buy an FLP or not to buy an FLP?
To buy a Rossler or not to buy a Rossler?
To go to a local shop and put in upgraded parts or not to [...]?

If you've done any of these, please pipe up and let me know your experiences. If you've got an opinion, opine away, just please let me know its opinion rather than direct experience.

TIA
Old 08-09-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man if your going with the 408 you most definetly need the 4l80e with a shift kit and upgraded clutches. don't even w3aste the time on the 4l60 or 65 beccasue you will blow them out in a matter of days if you drive even a little aggressive with that combo.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Parish blew his FLP in the mid to high 11's. In an ex cab 4wd. I would only be comfortable with a 60-65 in the mid 12's with a heavy 4wd.

Sounds like you need a 4l80.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the opinion part FLP seems to have excellent CS. They seem to have taken good care of Parish when he was going through them left and right.

The fact part ... I've had 2 different shops build a 60e for 2 different trucks. I just got done with doing an 80e swap. I think that if you find a good builder, you will be OK, but as heavy as your truck is, I wish you luck.

Maybe that will give you some sort of direction.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:18 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to do an 80E, but I want to keep the awd... If I could find specs on the 80E output shaft (like exact dimensions, etc.) I'd have an output shaft machined that would fit my XFer case (27 spline input gear), or vice versa. The trouble seems to be finding that info

Having said that, I've talkd to both FLP (Chuck) and Rossler (Carl) and both shops say they can build a 65E to stand up. FLP was in development mode with Parish, and say they learned how to build the 65E stronger. They also said they have a customer in an 800rwhp 'vette running a level 5 with no problems.

Thing is, both shops want ~$2500 and that is quite a chunk of change, considering lots of people say I'll be churning through them...
Old 08-09-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

800rwhp isn't near as bad in a light car than it would be in a heavy *** truck.

It would be about the equivelant of towing around a pair of jet skies in that vette .. all the time. I would bet that the tranny wouldn't live through that.

Have you thought about dropping the whole front end and making it a rear wheel drive only SS? If you do it right ... it will hook.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

OFF TOPIC**
How much power can my stock 60 handle?
Will a Trans-Go up the durability?
Will taking out TM do the same also?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the trans go will help but I hear taking out the TM it's only a matter of time. I have seen these tranny's go out with a 2wd v6 with 200hp at 15,000 miles. I know I did it along time ago. Also I have seen these damn things take 400rwhp and never skip a beat. Theirs always luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

With a 408 and 15+ pounds of boost there is no possible way that a 4L65 will last. A properly sized turbo and stall combo is going to give you instant massive amounts of torque. I would think a BUILT 4L80 is your only option and I wouldnt be comfortable beating on that every day.
Im going to try a Level 5 FLP in my Tahoe, but I only have a 5.3... for now and running 12# of boost on a centrifugal.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turbo you Need to Get in touch with Wheel to wheel
Get ahold of Kurt he goes by 427 on here
He has the same setup and had gone through a few tranny
he might be able to help you out with the AWD stituation

Quick Reply: CROSSPOST: FLP vs. Rossler vs. Local shop + parts