Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant

ppl have told the the dex anti freeze eats aluminum and thats what my block is so i was wondering if any one has swapped to regular green anti freeze and been ok i just wanted to make sure i didnt mess anything up.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like you'd have more trouble from possible cross contamination between old Dex and new green than if you just continued using dex, making sure to keep it topped up (to prevent air pockets) and change at regular intervals.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 05rado
ppl have told the the dex anti freeze eats aluminum and thats what my block is so i was wondering if any one has swapped to regular green anti freeze and been ok i just wanted to make sure i didnt mess anything up.
O5rado as well as this form i also belong to other automotive form's and the big ? about dexcool has be talked about many time's and the possible ill effect's it has. Everyone has a different opinion about the product but this is my story and what i encountered.

I have 2 GM vehicle's my 2006 silverado and a 2002 Grand prix GTP, i bought my GTP in 2003, it had 14k on it. Shortly after i had it home my wife and i planned a weekend getaway. So i started checking things over, oil, tranny fluid you get the idea, anyway i looked in the overflow and the fluid was all sludgy.

I did not want to chance anything so i took it to GM and had a complete rad flush and the dexcool was replaced with new.

For the next 3 months i watched my rad carefully, within 6 months the sludge and goop started to reappear, i made another app. for a rad flush except this time i wanted to have a rep from dexcool at the shop to see this for himself.

He looked in my rad, shook his head, called me aside from everyone and told me personally NOT TO RUN DEXCOOL it is crap and has or can cause different internal cooling engine related problems

My rad was flushed and replaced with green prestone, and my car has been trouble free ever since.

I have also talked with different GM tech's at different dearlership's some have suggested that when changing to prestone the pink is recommended on vehicles 2000 and up. Not sure why pink and not green but i run green.

Anyway that's my encounter with dexcool.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Teching In

thanks, thats enough to make a believer out of me!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Everybody is going to Dexcool. Ford is next. Its good stuff if you maintain your cooling system. Dexcool does not like air leaks in the system.

There were problems with poor quality gaskets in V6s that deteriated with Dexcool. There was a class action lawsuit on this. NO v8 trucks were included in this. Anyway no coolant goes through the 4.8/5.3/6 liter intakes.

Dex-Cool IS one of the most friendly coolants towards metals and corrosion.....

Dexcool probably has better performance on aluminum, steel, and iron and a longer life than most any other coolant. It has no silicates or phosphates to form solid abrasives (I don't think this is a big issue really) and is pretty tolerate of tap water that's not too low quality. It's pretty cheap and easy to find. Plus if your car has Dexcool already it's good to stay with the same formula if you can especially during the warranty period.

My wife and I have nearly 3/4 of a million miles on Dexcool without any issues what so ever.

But it don't mix with the green coolant. That will turn it to sludge.