Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Considering a 6L swap, need a reality check

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles on the 5.3??? how does it run? And what year truck is it? big differences from 99-02 in the PCM's.

I drive my truck everyday, and it's my only vehicle. There is just something about boosted vehicles that makes them so nice to drive. I'm hoping for 12's as soon as I can in a street driven truck.

I would not swap the engine. Look into a 4l80e tranny instead(if you can.. not sure if you have 4wd or not), and keep the 5.3. These motors can handle a crap load of power usually. The trannies and stock rear ends can't.

I say get the STS a set of 6.0 heads and ls6 cam and springs. They are Cheaper upgrades and will help the boost on the motor, but you can run alot of boost if you get a meth kit and/or intercooler. Then you need a fuel system. You could even get a shot of NOS on there for the whole shots and take 11's down on an 80e, or even 10's w/o breathing. Either way, you want 12's, your tranny is going to be your biggest concern.

when you blow the motor, swap in the bigger block and go crazy. And the tranny will still be there for you.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Doesn't the Autotrac accomplish almost the same thing?

One other thing I forgot to mention about block choice is that I think if I get the LQ4 or LQ9 block I can use the Radix I have right now without changing anything. That would probably save me some big $$. Can the LS2, LQ4, LQ9, and LM7 (I think that's my 5.3 engine code) all share the same intake manifold?
well ive driven a gmc awd truck, and it didnt grind and chatter in the steering inless that steering shaft was the problem, because any time i have autotrac on it grinds and sounds like crap when i turn and etc....
Old 03-10-2005, 11:18 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faze2183
well ive driven a gmc awd truck, and it didnt grind and chatter in the steering inless that steering shaft was the problem, because any time i have autotrac on it grinds and sounds like crap when i turn and etc....
I guess the transfer case for an AWD system would have to be different than the one for a part time 4wd system. I think the 4wd xfer case is locked, sending equal power front and rear all the time, but it would make sense that an awd system wouldn't be that way. My mistake.

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
I think you'd be best off asking someone like F8TLZ71, as he has a simillar truck and knocks off low 12's.
Thanks, basically what I was looking for was someone who had done this already, I'll send him a PM.

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
How many miles on the 5.3??? how does it run? And what year truck is it? big differences from 99-02 in the PCM's.
It's a 2001 with 85,000 miles. Still runs great, but I haven't exactly been nice to it since I put the supercharger on it at 35,000 miles. I figure it would be better to build an engine designed for a blower, it will probably last longer.

There is just something about boosted vehicles that makes them so nice to drive.
I couldn't agree more....my mom has a 2000 Suburban with the 5.3, and it feels so....boring and lifeless.

I would not swap the engine. Look into a 4l80e tranny instead(if you can.. not sure if you have 4wd or not), and keep the 5.3. These motors can handle a crap load of power usually. The trannies and stock rear ends can't.
I've already had my 4L60E rebuilt once....went from 6 to 9 clutch pads, shift kit, etc...the guy at the tranny shop (American Transmission in Scottsdale, AZ) told me that I would want to go to 12 clutch pads, then I would basically have a 4L80E anyway. They do a lot of work for Barrett Jackson, so I trust their judgement. I am prepared to swap out the front and rear diff and transfer case when the time comes.

I say get the STS a set of 6.0 heads and ls6 cam and springs. They are Cheaper upgrades and will help the boost on the motor, but you can run alot of boost if you get a meth kit and/or intercooler. Then you need a fuel system. You could even get a shot of NOS on there for the whole shots and take 11's down on an 80e, or even 10's w/o breathing. Either way, you want 12's, your tranny is going to be your biggest concern.
I already have a Radix kit on the 5.3, and I was asking about the compatibility of the manifolds across the LM7, LQ4, LQ9, and LS2 because I want to reuse it on whatever I get. I also do a lot of towing and need the low-end torque. The other consideration is that this is my only vehicle, so I want to build the engine outside the truck, and only tear into the truck when I absolutely have to and hopefully not have it down for more than a couple weeks. If I'm gonna do that anyway, I figure I might as well get the bigger block to start with. If I start with more, I would think that I would end up with more too.

Anyone know what the limit for boost is on an LQ9 on 91 octane?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:07 AM
High on diesel fumes

OK I searched for user F8TLZ71 and got nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You already have a Radix so there is no reason to get rid of it! All your gonna need is a shortblock and keep the rest the same! You will want to do a new valvetrain obviously and headers. I didnt see what cam you were running at this time but Im sure youll want to go bigger!
Old 03-11-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might want to look into a 402 or 408. i believe it's scoggin dickey that has a great deal on the 402's. that should tow a boat well.

as for boosting the LQ9, i'd limit it to 9psi on 91 octane.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:06 AM
High on diesel fumes

Which block do they use for the 408?

Overall, what do you guys think? LQ4 or LQ9? I can use the Radix on either one. Or should I say screw it and save for an LS2?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 408 is based on using a 6.0L block.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:24 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I've already had my 4L60E rebuilt once....went from 6 to 9 clutch pads, shift kit, etc...the guy at the tranny shop (American Transmission in Scottsdale, AZ) told me that I would want to go to 12 clutch pads, then I would basically have a 4L80E anyway. They do a lot of work for Barrett Jackson, so I trust their judgement. I am prepared to swap out the front and rear diff and transfer case when the time comes.
ok. it doesnt matter what you do to a 4l60e in any way it will not be a 4l80e. even with the z pack it cannot and will not withstand what an 80e can accomplish. you should be able to keep her together for a while but in the end it is going to be the weak link. an lq4 or a low compression stroker is going to be your best bet. unless you sell the supercharger and get a turbo. good luck.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunder550
Which block do they use for the 408?

Overall, what do you guys think? LQ4 or LQ9? I can use the Radix on either one. Or should I say screw it and save for an LS2?
You can run more boost on the LQ4. LS2's arent too readily availible in wrecked cars just yet I dont think. Plus they will cost alot!!

Quick Reply: Considering a 6L swap, need a reality check