Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chaning water pump, need info about conversion and future intake..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing water pump, need info about conversion and future intake..

Heyas dudes, I'm going to be changing my water pump and belts (squealing/rattling). I wanted to know about higher flowing water pumps and fixing any clearing issues in the future if I change out the intake and throttle body. It has been tough to locate a simple aftermarket water pump for my 6.0L engine for some reason, I can find stock ones for around 129bucks (new) and 99bucks (remanufactured), but I wanted some higher flowing one, as I do some heavy towing during the summer months.

Any ideas? I already have a huge aftermarket radiator from Flex-a-lite with their largest electric fan setup along with the Nelson harness. Just need a nice new and quiet water pump.

Truck is a 2003 1500HD with 6.0L + 4L80E (built) + STS turbocharger.

Last edited by Spires; 12-08-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it DBW or cable drivin throttle body??

I don't really know of any aftermarket WP other than meizer's electric pump, but as long as you have a big radiator you should be fine towing. IMO

The stock water pump should be fine for cooling reasons, and for clearance issues you would need a f-body water pump if your TB is DBW and you could use a L92 water pump if it has the cable.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe look into an electric pump. It could possibly free up some power and plus it should cool faster at idle. dunno much personally about the intake/wp matchup. I have seen some guys on here that have done the electric waterpump and have been very satisfied.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

With a bigger radiator and electric fans you've already done what you need to keep the engine cool and reduce parasitic drain as well as improve gas mileage which helps with a 6.0 HD. You can add the electric water pump(expensive) and low temp thermostat(cheap). I have this set up(except for the bigger radiator) and my water temp stays at 185 unless I get into stop and go traffic, but even then it stays below 200. The OEM water pump certainly isn't the noisiest part on your engine. I almost bought the 08 2500 HD Silverado because it has the 6 spd. trans., but that's a lot more truck than I need most of the time. The only other way you can get the 6 speed is in the GMC Denali crew cab which isn't for me. I decided to wait until the 09s come out to find out if GM sees the light and makes the 6L80e or 6L90e available across the board on the Silverado line. You can't even get an manual trans anymore with a gas engine. I don't know why they don't offer the T56 Tremec. That's what I'd buy. As far as an aftermarket intake look at the new one from Starr Performance. It was debuted at the recent SEMA show. Starr is associated with Paul Blackmore of EFI Live from New Zealand/Australia.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

do not get a mezier electric pump..seen 2 fail..one on a whippled 5.4 f150 and another on a built 7.0 zo6..something i would not put on a daily driver, maybe just for the strip. not reliable enough for me