Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed PCV...felt a big difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't knock the guy for his approach to the problem, I was using a simular design before the one we are making now. But as for asthetics and functionality, I feel you would be very impressed with this design, even with the higher price tag. Just thought this might be a fix for the reaccuring pcv problem many vehicles are having.
both of our 02 chev. work trucks have the kit on them, and the cans do catch quite a bit comming through the pcv.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Believe me, if I had the cash I would buy one but my tuition payment is crazy and I'm a low buck forever kinda guy. I have a question though, what other colors does it come in?

However, I did buy the filter today at Lowes. I'll be doing an install log of my own if anyone is interested.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

thats cool, I think alot of good info and products come from people doing their own thing, I'm honestly the same way.
Cans come in four anodized colors; red, blue, black, and clear. Thanks for your interest, give me a shout if I can help you out.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so I've run into a kink. Where is the PVC line? I see it on the LS1 pics but it's not the same for our trucks. I notice one that goes to the top of the intake manifold from the d.s. cover. Is that it? If so, it's a weird pipe or something covered in a protective foam. Bueller?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, took some pics.

This is the driver side vacuum hose. This is what needs to be tapped into for the filter. Only it's not your traditional type hose. More figuring out needed.

This is the tube from another angle.

Passenger side one. Innocent for the while.

And last but not least the filter. I got it at Lowes over buy the paint guns and air compressor accesories. It was $20 and the 1/4 thread, 3/8" barbs were a buck a peice. Next to my keys for size scale.

Another thing I noticed was there was no crossover tube like the LS1. Would this bennificial to our engines if we added one?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

ttt...
Old 04-15-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

nice,, i might have to copy you on this one,, i bought a new pcv valve today, and it looks to be different from my stock one, im just gonna install it and hope its good enough. it cost 8 bucks from the dealer
Old 04-16-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be worried about it impeding flow too much, but if you can get it to work, more power to ya. The people I know who have done a catch can using a moroso dry dump can who have tried to get extra filtration by stuffing the can with brillo pads and whatnot have found that it blocked flow too much to be effective. What I have found works best is either a can filled with something like the side ball bearings used in slingshots for the oil to stick to, or just baffles welded into a can that forces the air around it, stripping the oil vapor from the air as it navigates the turns.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Well I can blow into the filter and there is little restriction. It's designed for high pressure applications so I don't see there being a problem.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

On my old GTO (drag car) I run the PCV into the exhaust collector with a one way valve. It uses the exhaust scavenging to suck out the crank pressure. The motor no longer has previsions for any other type of PCV

Quick Reply: Changed PCV...felt a big difference