Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed PCV...felt a big difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:55 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CARAZYCUTER 4.8
one word for you GEARS! GEARS! GEARS!

LOL! Yeah, my truck needs gears pretty bad. It was great meeting you and your Dad last night. We'll have to do it again sometime. That truck makes alot of power and looks damn good!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOW2000
The PCV typically causes neg crankcase pressure, same as an aftermarket system (tho not to the same degree of vacuum obviously) and in systems designed with a PCV system in mind, many times the ring package is designed accordingly and running without that negative pressure will result in accelerated ring wear.

I once watched a guy puncture his oil pan at about the 1/8th mile mark and he was running soo much vacuum in his crankcase that the oil stayed in there until he got to the end of the track and shut the car down at which time all of the oil DUMPED out of the pan. Helps make some power though since the piston is only having to work hard in one direction instead of both.
PCV does 2 things - it is an emissions device - but also relieves pressure inside the crankcase - it takes this pressure inside the crankcase and returns it to be reburned thru the intake - if you did not have any release for the pressure inside the crankcase - you create the blown oil pan above.
If you check old small block chev's - they had road draft tubes
this tube dumped the blowby into the atmosphere - same as the "little filters" on the valve covers - The PCV replaces those....
Old 04-14-2004, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99silveradoSS
LOL! Yeah, my truck needs gears pretty bad. It was great meeting you and your Dad last night. We'll have to do it again sometime. That truck makes alot of power and looks damn good!

yeah, but it is still a big fat pig! a pig is a pig! it is hard to believe 1/2 inch of stroke can make that much difference. I cannot wait for the spray! when my dad gets the stall back we are supposed to take the beast out to the track. you should come...
Old 04-14-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm aware of the hows and whys, just letting him know what kinda impact different methods will have on his motor.

In a race motor, that didnt run the vacuum pump, youd usually run the line to an exhaust primary so that the exhaust flow would pull a vacuum on the tube and take the oil vapor with it. It all depends on the engine design and sanctioning body what you can and cant do though.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

check out this thread, https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152990
alot of the car guys are using this set up to help eliminate oil contamination coming through the pcv
Old 04-14-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Got a part number for the PCV?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by CARAZYCUTER 4.8
yeah, but it is still a big fat pig! a pig is a pig! it is hard to believe 1/2 inch of stroke can make that much difference. I cannot wait for the spray! when my dad gets the stall back we are supposed to take the beast out to the track. you should come...
Yeah, let me know when your Dad gets the stall back and ya'll go to the track. I wanna see that and your truck on the spray! Looks like I won't be able to go this weekend Once school gets out I'll be able to get more of my fridays off.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Default Fixed orifice

12572717 is the "new" fixed orifice type that is supposed to help oil consumption on the SB. I dont think there is an after market cross reference. You may have to get it at a GM or AC delco distributor. They are under $5.00.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

In the words of that fat kid Cartman on South Park "sweeeeeeet" LOL

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Not knocking the forum sponsor but here's what a guy over on www.corvetteforum.com did. It works great and he only paid about $30 total for parts.

http://govettego.com/mods/pvc/index.htm

Quick Reply: Changed PCV...felt a big difference