Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castec Heads on 04 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I agree you will probably be fine, but it never hurts to check, and I promise you the first time you dont check and have a problem with piston to valve clearance, will be the absolute last time you dont check.

Preload is the length of the pushrod past zero-lash. 0.075" in my example above.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redrdrfmx
TXSZ66AVALANCHE, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm thinking about measuring them just to learn the process but can everyone agree that I would be fine with just putting it back together with the stockers. Everything I've read so far tells me that the LS7 lifters are an OE replacement on these motors.

Now as far as setting preload, can anyone give me a little more info on the process and what is involved. Sorry for the noob questions. I know my way around a wrench but when it comes to engine building, and valvetrain stuff I have a lot to learn.
Atomic said it pretty well. I dont really know another way to say it. Sorry. It may make more since once you have the tool in your hand. Its kinda difficult to explain.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I think that makes a lot of sense. What is the stock pushrod length and preload specs?
I thought I have been hearing 7.38" but is that with or without the preload?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Getting ready to put it back together and I've been reading debating stories on whether to use loctite on the head bolts or not. I was planning to just lube up the head bolts with a bit of oil and call it good. Anybody have another preferred method?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Getting ready to put it back together and I've been reading debating stories on whether to use loctite on the head bolts or not. I was planning to just lube up the head bolts with a bit of oil and call it good. Anybody have another preferred method?
You mentioned using ARP Bolts. If so use the correct ARP Lube for the bolts and follow the directions.

Make sure you clean the thread holes out. ARP sells a thread chase for LS engines. Your other option would be to modify an old head bolt.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks! I plan to grind down to opposing sides of an old head bolt to chase the holes.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! I plan to grind down to opposing sides of an old head bolt to chase the holes.
good idea. I did the same, but I cut four flukes in a bolt to do this. either way, as long as you get them clean. blow the holes out with air. maybe use break cleaner down the holes to help clean them out. just make sure they get dry.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Teching In

What'd you use to cut the flukes?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What'd you use to cut the flukes?
Just a cut-off wheel. The width of the wheel was perfect. Held the bolt in a bench vise and then rotated it for each cut. Helps to mark the end of the bolt to keep them spaced even. Im a lil OCD... I just put an X on the end which showed me where to cut.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Good call, I'll be fluking my bolts today

Quick Reply: Castec Heads on 04 5.3