Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Carb'ed Big Block in a 2000 Silverado? Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb'ed Big Block in a 2000 Silverado? Need some advice...

Hi guys, new to the forum here and have been trying to do some research on a little idea I had...

I currently have a built 572 engine that's been sitting on a stand for about 2 years. I guy owed me some money a few years back and had the motor but it was torn apart. I took it in trade and had a performance shop put some serious machine time into it and turned it into a beast. It runs E-85 (100+ octane) and dyno'ed out at 716HP with an awesome torque curve while still being tame enough to idle and cruise around town.

A family member has a SPOTLESS black 2000 Silverado, 2WD, standard cab, short box that he's looking to sell. It has the stock 5.3 in it and only about 50,000 miles. He's babied the truck and will give me a really good deal on it.

What I was thinking was to pull the 5.3L (build it and use it in another project down the road) and put the 572 in it to make a nice little street/strip truck. I used to have a 454SS and a Lightning and miss having a fast little truck.

A few questions...

1) Does anyone make motor mounts to drop a big block into these era trucks?

2) Obviously the new motor would be carb, but I will run a fuel cell and it's own fuel pump, but would the rest of the wiring and everything work if the truck didn't have a fuel-injected engine? Does anyone make a harness or wiring kit so the gauges could be hooked up? Otherwise are there any aftermarket dash/gauge packages for these trucks?

3) Who makes the best high performance 4L80 trans? I'm guessing that would be the best bet paired with a nice driveshaft and new built rear end.

Think it's possible?

All in all I just want something to finally get to drive with this motor and want it to be in a truck. Am I crazy for wanting to do it in a 2000 Chevy? I know it'd be a lot easier to do it with an old truck, but I don't want to go that route.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't answer the rest of your questions, but shouldn't this engine have the same motor mounting points as a gen 6 8.1? That frames are probally difference however between the 2000 and an 01+ hd
Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered selling the engine and building a turbo setup for your 5.3? The stock bottom end can and has held more power than that big block makes. Plus it will drive around much better and get better gas mileage out of boost.