Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam or Fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
The fan clutch disengages? Are you sure about that?

And I don't have problems like that with my E-fans, been on there for years. I run a decent gauge wire, 2 fuses, and 2 relays. I have the 105a alternator as well.
3 x 5 pin 30amp relays on 05 34" efans and initially Nelson Harness. Voltage drop got so bad I put on 145amp alt, did the "Big 3" wire upgrade, and finally got some decent Bosch relays. I also had a new harness done by a friend with 10g wire (I think - havent looked in a while). Still, by my dash guage when hi-speed fans engage voltage drops solid 2 amps. If it was just me I'd say I'm just a bag of hammers, but I have yet to speak to any retro fit that doesnt have at least some drop. As for clutch fan @ WOT...ya I meant the AC...I dare anyone to tell me they can tell the power diff with or without efans. So...$150 for the fans, $100 for the harness, $100 for 145amp alt, $30 for new relays, $30 for Big 3 Wires, $30 for new harness wire, $10 for more Dex (after overheat), $30 for oil change (after overheat), my labour and hair loss and higher blood pressure due to hassle factor - priceless! Total: $555 + Priceless = I hate adding this stuff up! GO CAM!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
I'll agree with Scott, fans first IMO.

I haven't done a cam swap yet so I can't speak for that.
I dont know you, so I want to apologize for the way this is going to come off. PLEASE dont take it personal.

You state that you havent done a cam swap yet, so how can you recommend fans over a cam??

I did fans on both of my RCSB's, yes it revs a hair faster, yes it is a bit more responsive, and I noticed an increase in economy in my 2000, however all the fans do is free up power that is lost using a clutch fan. They do nothing to actually make more power. The cam on the other hand lets more air/fuel/exhaust flow, thereby actually making more power.

A cam swap is easy, cam and springs isnt hard, just a PITA without a decent spring compressor. 4hrs tops without springs.

Either way you need a re-tune, either to turn pin 42 on for the fans, or for the cam (one worth swapping at least) so personally, I (and most people with experience with cams) say do the cam.

If money is tight, e-fans are better than a clutch fan, but if you want to see gains, and youre split between a cam swap and e-fans, do the cam for sure.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could tell an immediate HP/acceleration difference between stock fan/e-fans on BOTH my Silverado and Tahoe. It's a known fact that manual fans cost 10-15HP and people HOPE to gain that much out of a CAI or a low restriction muffler.

As someone else mentioned, getting rid of the "tornado" sound was another big plus. I always hated sounding like a MAC truck.

Honestly I don't understand all the whining that people make about how "hard and expensive" e-fans are. There are 2 routes:
1- LS1 fans for the small 28" radiators = $50-$75 used on ebay
2- 05 fans for the larger 34" radiators = $250 new on ebay

Either way, after the fans if you are willing to take some time and enjoy doing your own work, making a fully working factory style 3 relay (Hi/Low) harness is an afternoon/evening project that can be done for less than $100 (I know....I have made the harnesses for both my vehicles). The only part you can't buy is the pins that go into the computer (at least I have not been able to find them). BUT, the solution is to find an old LS1 computer harness that has been cut (wrecking yard) and you can pull the pins and re-solder them to your harness.

So, end result is as others have stated:
LS1 fans = ~$150
05 fans = ~$350

As far as mounting them, if mounting a pair of fans on a truck is "difficult" for you, how the hell do you EVER manage to even change your own plugs much less install a cam?
- 05 fans are a bolt on deal.
- The LS1 fans are an easy install if you just use the "zip-tie" like things that are used to mount oil coolers/tranny coolers to radiators. This is how my LS1 fans were mounted for 4 years and they worked wonderfully. Just sit the bottom of the fans on the lower radiator support so the radiator core does not carry weight. Then the "zip-ties" simply keep the fans from falling off.

So...YES! Camshaft WILL give more HP than fans. Nobody on here would be stupid enough to argue against that. BUT, I think the unanimous agreement of those saying to fans is that fans are something that should be done IN PREPARATION for other hot rodding of the vehicle. It frees up HP, it allows you to adjust the cooling temps to prevent detonation, you can turn the fans on/off in relationship to the AC needs. It's the same as doing a cam before doing a CAI, exhaust, etc. Sure the cam nets you more than any one of the others, but you can't take full advantage of it.

Ok, end of my rant
Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White1- the only reason I say fans first is because of the price and the fact that they do net gains-even if small-it's still worth it.

Cam is lot more money- and sounds like he doesn't have a lot sitting around. Fans are like what, 100 bucks tops? I bought my harness and fans together for 100.

I don't understand why you're making such a big deal of my recommendation. I already stated I haven't done a cam swap yet. Next time would you like me to lie and say I have?

And like earlier stated, if money is so tight that you can't get a set of 100-150 dollar fans to support your cam swap-you need a new hobby.

No harm meant, no harm taken!

Last edited by 1LOW4X4; 07-08-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

And also, 2 amps of power loss at idle might worry some, and others may be completely oblivious. I notice it, and don't care for it, but just like anything else you'll have to change things to support it.

Did you whine when you had to change your valve springs when you did your cam? No, because that's part of it.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
And also, 2 amps of power loss at idle might worry some, and others may be completely oblivious. I notice it, and don't care for it, but just like anything else you'll have to change things to support it.

Did you whine when you had to change your valve springs when you did your cam? No, because that's part of it.
I have not noticed any issues with power loss. My Silverado has a 145 amp alt (the 105 had died long ago) but my Tahoe still has the 105. Both support the fans without any issue.

However, I am running a Hi/Low setup so I don't go from OFF-to-High in one shot but rather ramp up from OFF-to-Low-to-High. This really helps take the shock load out of it (if that is what people are referring to as 'power loss').
Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Launching!

whos got a link to this "magical" wire harness that makes all this stuff possible?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluchev
whos got a link to this "magical" wire harness that makes all this stuff possible?
I use the Blackbear 2 pin harness: http://www.blackbearperformance.com/
Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Yeah I have the one pin. Goes from low while ac is off to high on ac on. I notice a pretty good power loss(volts) not horsepower
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

/thread

Quick Reply: Cam or Fans