Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Built 4L60E transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built 4L60E transmission questions

Lately I have been dealing with issues about how to build my 03 5.3 Sierra into a RELIABLE performance truck.

From what i have read, observed and heard online/offline the 4L60E EVEN when built is a very weak transmission.

Does anyone feel differently? Is there ANY transmission build up kit or prebuilt 4L60E transmission that IS reliable? I just refuse to believe that there is no way to build up a reliable "bulletproof" 4L60E!

I was planning to buy a Radix magnacharger but then decided I would need a built tranny. Now I am reconsidering performing ANY serious engine mods like a supercharger or fully built engine, all because it would seem that doing so would result in an extremely short lived tranny!

SO how long could I expect a built tranny to survive!? I am looking for a tranny that can withstand at least 375 hp to the wheels yet last at least 30K miles. Am I crazy? Is this even possible? Am I gonna have to install a new tranny like a TH400, 4L80E or something crazy?

Anyway I really need some experienced and educated. Its very depressing for me to think that there is NO way to build up my tranny/engine without breaking parts excessively!
Old 06-23-2003, 04:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Built 4L60E transmission questions

Common, Marine, Level 10 performance garuntees their trannies for 1 year, and unlimited mileage. They are supposed to be able to handle 650+ torque. The only one I hear who blows the trannies are the guys like Parrish 8 with his 800hp freak of a truck, or guys that have only put in a shift kit and a couple of servos. There is a guy at work who spent $20,000 on his 550 hp corvette from ligenfilter(rich bastard), his has the same tranny as ours, and he had lingenfilter build it for $2500. 41000 miles and counting!
Old 06-23-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I spent about 1800 on mine a month and a half ago or so. All of the clutches and bands are OK, but I broke some kind of metal part in the tranny now cause I have shavings in the pan. I would think it was an input shaft or something. I am waiting on the tranny guy to let me know what happened.

If you go with a built tranny, get a stage 1 shift kit, cause mine it 2, and it has a jaw jerking 1-2 shift. I believe that had a bit to do with it since it barks the oversized BFG AT's at about half throttle.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Bah, a 4L60E is easy to build for ~550rwhp or so. I have an ABSURDLY LARGE list or parts to pick up. PM me and I will e-mail it to you. It will cost you a good amount of cash to do so, but remember this "When going fast one needs to spend cash"

Remember also the stock trans is good for around 350rwtq until it explodes, the heft of our trucks helps it die that much faster.

Be sure to PM me and I'll give you that list.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HitmanX,I broke a transmission with every part on your list.The builder fixed it,nothing is truely bullitfroof with 500 rwhp sometimes you just roll the dice.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Also remember your 'Hoe is over 6000lbs too right? A less portly truck around 4800lbs is gonna be a lot lighter on a trans due to the weight. I think the less you weigh, the more power it can run through it. Kinda makes you wonder how you have N/A heads&cam 11 sec LS1 F-bods/C5's with a 4L60E in them and holding up fine around 400rwhp...when you start going much faster than that low 11 sec/high 10 range then you need to upgrade to a bigger trans.

That and the instant torque of a Roots/Twin Screw is pretty hard on the entire drive train. I would say a 9-12psi ProCharger would be far, far easier on the drivetrain than the roots/screw. Hell you may get a pulley that would make 6psi @ 3000rpms and short shift at 5600-5800 to limit boost to 10psi. I don't think a ProCharger w/ a 3200-3600rpm stall converter would be that bad.

I have also been reading about Cryo and Stress relieving parts. Seems like this would help with the planetaries, reaction sun gear shell, and the input shaft w/ drum. I do believe the weakest part is the reaction sun gear shell, if someone made a forged one that would help a ton! Or those main internals in a forged metal. Sure that would cost quite a bit, but breakage would be far less.

GM should have deisgned the heavy 1/2 ton vehices and 4x4 stuff with a 6.0/4L80E in them. Wonder why they put TqMgt in the programming...the 4L60E trans can barely take stock power as is let alone massive power/torque. Torque Managment = GM's ghetto fix!

What parts broke in your trans? Also were you running a ton of line pressure and very hard shifts? That causes a huge shock to the internals (sort of like impact tools). Try toning down your shifts some, I bet it will last longer.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

allright hodgee sounds like there is a tranny out there. So whats the company called common marine? Do you have a webpage link?

I am willing to spend $2500 on a built tranny. I just dont want it to blow up after 10,000 miles. now 30K+ miles I could do.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. Now all I have to do is get the cash together for the tranny.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with my setup is I'm making 9 1/2 lb boost at the launch.The new transmission seems to be holding up but who knows how long.I have'nt figured out how to get the Tahoe less than 5450lb with me in it diet time I guess.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys, with the wieght and abuse that our trucks put a 4L60E through, they are just hit or miss. When I fry mine, I will replace it with a 4L80E. There are some guys that can build them as tough as nails for a 3500# car, but when your talking a 4500# + truck trying to launch 1.6 or better 60' s, the 4L60E just can't hang in the long run. That's just my opinion though.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

So will a 4L80E fit in a non hd turck, like my 03? If so has anyone done this yet?

Quick Reply: Built 4L60E transmission questions