Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

building a 5.0 305

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you wanting to make this your daily driver? If not I would VERY highly recomend going carb if ur on a tight budget or don't know a whole lot about the injection. as bnoon said, TBI is crap. there are very limited products for it and the ones that there are, are expensive and don't deliver any kind of power gains. I say bore that sucker and throw a carb on 'er. IMO. I know you're wantin a "fun" project, but believe me it will turn into a headache. but if you're going to do injection anyways, your're still going to have to mess with the computer deal on TBI so just go for multiport instead.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

yea TBI was out of the question from the jump. i was never a fan of TBI motors. i was wondering what i would need computer wise to make it TPI becuase yea i will be driving it on the streets alot. if possible i would like to keep air conditioning too. so does anyone know or have a gist of what i would need to make it Tune Port Injected?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't the TBI that sucks...it's the TBI-era heads that suck !!!, swap a TBI onto a vortec-headed motor and it's a whole new ball game with that TBI
Old 08-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DUDE!!.....don't waste your time with a 305. It will cost the same amount of cash to put together a well prepared 350....you won't regret building that...IMO
Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Idk a whole lot about the LT1's, but I do know the cams can be used in these motors, does anyone know whether he could swap out the heads and intake with the injection from an LT1 and use it on that block?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Supertrux
DUDE!!.....don't waste your time with a 305. It will cost the same amount of cash to put together a well prepared 350....you won't regret building that...IMO
honestly i'm doing a 350 after i'm done w/ this block. this motor isn't gonna cost me much money becuase a good buddy of mine has one that he's gonna let go for a good price. after this is in something and driving i plan on rebuilding the 350 thats in my truck now....... but back to the induction. i'm wanting to use either the TPI or w/e system came on the lt1's but what i'm wondering is what computer parts are required to run this stuff?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:52 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure exactly, but the wiring harness and computer from an LT1. But I'm not real sure how you would do that because the computer relys on other sensors too to function properly and without switchin everything out I'm not sure how you would make it work right. Maybe have the computer "tuned", you know like reprogram it. I know on my buddys LS1 we took out the egr and air system and he had it deleted from the computer. maybe that would be possible with this. Try LS1TECH for this. Theres alot of LT1 guys on there.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

i was wondering if i got a car body that was previously fuel injected could i use the coputers and stuff that are already in the car/truck. i'm hoping to be putting this in a s10 so if it was fuel injected couldn't i just use all of the **** that's already in it?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

You can only use a LT1 fuel system on an LT1 engine! An LT1 is reversed cooled!
With all that you want to get that adds up fast, around $1500 with gaskets, time, all that little crap, just spend $1,200 on a 6.0 and put it in the s-10 or get a cheap 5.3 complete with computer and everything!
Also I don't think you can use a LT1 or LT4 cam on anything but a LT1 or LT4 style motor.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a few companies out there who offer retro-fit harnesses for Tuned Ports...possibly Accel or Edelbrock, maybe even Painless. I'm sure that a google search will yield some results. I haven't checked in a while, but I remember shopping at swap meets and surfin ebay and seeing complete TPI set ups with harnesses and PCM's included. I'm pretty sure that alot of the pro tuners out there can adopt the PCM's to work in just about anything...I know that PCMforLess does tuning on pre-OBDII vehicles. I used to have just about every part needed for a tuned port (complete intake, injectors, rails, cam, sensors) minus the harness and PCM, and it layed around for so many years, I forget what I did with it when I cleaned out my garage...I may have given it away to someone or traded it for a case of beer

Quick Reply: building a 5.0 305