Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

building a 5.0 305

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a 5.0 305

i'm hoping to be building a 305 small block some time soon. so shoot me some ideas on mods and **** that i should do to it. as far as heads are concerned i'm hoping to be running a set off of a 327 vette so that's good for now. hoping to go fuel injected too. so shoot some ideas my way and let me know what you guys would do.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

just for conversation sake, why do you want to build a 305?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBTork
just for conversation sake, why do you want to build a 305?

yes I would like to no this also
Old 08-09-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

327 heads are waaaaaaay outdated, plus they're set up to run a 4" bore, not the 3.8" bore of the 305. You'd have to mill them down a bit to make the chambers even make good compression, but then you'd be left with a crappy shaped combustion chamber.

What you should be running on a 305, if you want to stay with gen 1 heads, are the best 305 heads ever made, the 416 H.O. castings. You can find them on '82-'84 305 H.O. carburated Z28 Camaros/Trans Ams, and '85-'86 305 TPI Camaros and TA's. You do NOT want the TBI heads as they are beyond junk. I made almost 300 whp on my stock short block 305 in my TA, so it can be done. Heck, I had 250 whp without headers!!!

If you want to make the move to Vortec heads, get some new ones from Scoggin Dicky that are already modified for higher lift and better springs. You'll spend more at the machine shop to make stock ones worth while in a high performace application.

If you're really into spending to much money, buy Keith Black pistons and a stroker crank to make a 334. If a stroker isn't up you alley, get a different set of KB pistons and a set of 6" rods and make a long rod 305.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Please go with a 350, you can get them for next to nothing!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Teching In

A 305 is a piece of ****. Nothing else to say.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

well to answer all tha questions on why i chose a 305 is because a good buddy of mine has one that he found and i'll be able to get it for much of nothing so its just a cheap project to better my mechanic skills before i go to college. i plan on putting the motor in something like such as a s10 or something along those lines so it should do faily well......atleast i hope it will.................any more suggestions on what i should do as far as heads, cam, and good stuff like that. btw i was wondering if i could get it prepped for a roller can and use either the LT1 or LT4 cam in the block?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not know about the cam question, but I do see why you want to do a 305. It should be a good way to cut your teeth on the mechanics of engines. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SBTork
I do not know about the cam question, but I do see why you want to do a 305. It should be a good way to cut your teeth on the mechanics of engines. Good luck.
thanx man ima need it. no help from dad this time until it comes down to timing and ignitions unless i just get stuck to the point i cant do nothing.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J$Money
well to answer all tha questions on why i chose a 305 is because a good buddy of mine has one that he found and i'll be able to get it for much of nothing so its just a cheap project to better my mechanic skills before i go to college. i plan on putting the motor in something like such as a s10 or something along those lines so it should do faily well......atleast i hope it will.................any more suggestions on what i should do as far as heads, cam, and good stuff like that. btw i was wondering if i could get it prepped for a roller can and use either the LT1 or LT4 cam in the block?
You need to find out what year of 305 block you're getting. If it's an '87+, it will already be set up for a roller cam and you can run the LT1 cam in it (after you trim down the timign chain pin a touch). If it's an older 305, you can still make it a roller engine by drilling/tapping your own bosses for the spider tray, then using the 2.2/3.8 roller lifters (the later V8 roller lifters are to big to fit the older blocks). You have to use special length push rods though... I can't remember which application for sure, but I think it was the late 80's Ford F150 with 351 roller cams that had the right length hardnened push rods... someone on the net should be able to confirm, or you can use a pushrod length checker to ensure for yourself.

Personally, if it's not a roller engine already, I'd just spend 80-90 bucks and get a Summit Racing brand cam. I like the SUM-1105 myself. I had the SUM-1104 cam in my 305 TA and made it work well with a little programming of the ECU. I would have went with the 1105 if I would have had gears and a converter...

Quick Reply: building a 5.0 305