Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Blew My Driveshaft up at 80! Long Post. Pics now up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blew My Driveshaft up at 80! Long Post.

Thanks skid, that makes a lot of sense! I forgot that the ABS system does tie into vehicle speed. I had the vehicle in the park position when I turned the steering wheel, and pushed the truck onto the street. That is when I heard the chime, and the display panel said check brake system!

Ok, I measured the driveline angle again. The tranny seems to have a angle that is flat to the ground. The rear diff seems to have a 1.5 degree angle pointing to the ground. It is 15" from the ground from the slip yoke, and it is 13" to the ground for the pinion yoke! So what is my driveline angle?

I measured from distance to the ground from both ends, then the driveshaft length, then calculated. If you point the lazer pointer up to the slip yoke from the slider yoke, my angle finder says it's about 1.5 degrees, but since my tranny is flat, and the diff ever so gently points to the ground as subscribed before, is this what you take into measurement? When looking at it, it really looks like the tranny and diff lines are horizontal to one another with a 2" difference in height. I called Danny's again, and he said that I had plenty of room for driveline movement, and everything sounded correct. So what I am saying is that I am confused now to no means!

I know that the tranny and diff lines should be horizontally even to one another. I know that there needs to be some room for driveline movement, so that the rear differential should be lower than the trannsmission. I measured 2 inches of travel space from the leafs to the bumpstops. There is 2 inches hieght difference between the tranny and diff. When fully compressed, the diff will be exactly even with the transmission. I know when getting on the gas, that the diff yoke wants to point to the sky by rotation. So after carefully looking at this, at max compression and acceleration with my traction bars on, my diff and tranny and driveline will be in perfect alignment with one another, which is said that when they line up perfecly, that makes the most power to the rear end!

I beleive again that it was just critical speed, and vibration from the original driveline. I have not had any other problems with 5000 miles on my truck after being lowered!
Old 09-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

if i remember right, just set your tool on the driveshaft and that is your angle, make sure you're on flat ground.

the difference between the 1.5 degs on the tranny and driveshaft should be at least 1-1.5deg difference. same for the rearend.

if it's at least 1 deg, you should be ok, but you probably already are,

later,

allen
Old 09-09-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey -1.5* sounds good hodgeee. I was not trying to tell you that your driveshaft exploded because of degree issues, I just saw your post about the angles looking like they were straight across i.e. 0* I just wanted to let people know that it should be -2* (nose of the rear pinion pointing downward towards the ground a little)
-1.5* will work out fine man
Old 09-09-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

How can I tell if my driveshaft is steel or aluminum?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:19 AM
Banned

WARRANTY!!!!! call every dealership you can and see what they say. never hurts to try
Old 09-10-2003, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

How can I tell if my driveshaft is steel or aluminum?
A magnet due to aluminum is non magnetic or the fact the steel looks like a rusted peice of crap strait off the dealers lot.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

I guess that is one good thing about Phoenix creederado. My driveshaft still looks brand new.
It is so freakin hot here but it is fun here too.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am sorry to bother you, this is hodgeee. I just put a new pinion yoke on the back, cause it was spread out a little just like you said it would be. I put a 1350 yoke on the back, and my driveshaft is set to come with the proper u-joint. What I needed to ask you, if you knew, how much play should there be between the ring and pinion. I noticed by how much I tighten the pinion yoke, determines how much play there should be. I know that there should be some play, but I don't know how much though. I got it so that there is about a 1/4" play from turning it left to right. Just enough so that I can feel it bang back and forth inside when I turn the pinion. Does this sound correct, or do you have an idea how tight it should be?

Thanks again for all the help, you have saved me, and set my worries aside! I pm'd & emailed you also!