Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Billet servo install problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet servo install problems

Well after changing my trans fluid today which went fairly easy, I ran into a huge snag as I decided to attempt to install the billet servos I had lying around. BIG mistake. Just pay someone the $40-60 to do this!

Man, being hot today made this attempted install a PITA. I can't seem to get the red spring in straight with the servo assembly. I tried for hours today to get that thing back in, maybe the heat, being tired, and a bit dehydrated from the previous nights events caused me to not do the correctly.

Anyone install this themselves? Flem with the Magnacharger/LS6 heads on the Suburban could help as he did it I believe...

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Billet servo install problems

Hey man I'm not sure if this is the same as the corvette servo, but when I did mine, I had one of the parts backwards. Did you try switching the parts around and see if it fits better?
Old 07-03-2003, 10:57 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I remember thinking it wasn't going to go in also. I ended up getting into a position under the truck where I could get both arms up in there at once. One hand to hold the spring while the other guided the servo into position. You have to make sure the middle pin goes into the center hole in the servo bore, and doesn't go to one side. When you're sure the pin is in its hole, you can force the servo straight and into the bore.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Hey man this is the page I used to figure out what was wrong with mine. http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/dr...nsgo_servo.htm
Are you talking about the spring that goes in first before any of the pistons?
Old 07-03-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes there is a red heavy duty spring that must go on before the actual servo assembly goes on. I put some axle grease on the spring to hold it in place then slid the servo into place with no problem. This is a 45min to 1 hour job. The hardest part is reaching up into there. I am in fort worth if you need any help.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you what. Try replacing that bastage on a Fbody. I had a hell of time when I put my transgo in on my '00 SS. There is NO room in those trans tunnels to work. I finally got a BIG pipe in there and pried the trans over so I could get the assembly started.

Then I had to take it back out because it was shimmed to tight.

I guess the trucks aren't much easier to do huh.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

XLR there is a little room but not much. I had to disassemble the pieces between the trans and the tunnel to get it all out. And putting that little clip back in with that little bit of room was a b$#*&. Hit Man any updates yet???
Old 07-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cash - That sounds like what I had to do on my car. It's a beotch no doubt.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

It sounds like I did the right thing in paying the $20 bucks for the tranny shop to put mine in :p
Old 07-04-2003, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

As of today I have not messed with it. I think I am just gonna give up and tow that bastard to my trans shop...what a waste of $100!

The parts are going in the correct direction. I just have a hard time getting the angle correct while I am on my back, it is just a very hard angle to work with. On a lift it would be far, far easier.

The thing is, I had it in there with the heavy red spring TWICE and the pin was too long and needed to be ground down. For my life I can not get it back in with that spring in the correct place. I have been using an assload of assembly lube (petroleum jelly) to keep everything in place.

So, I am pretty sure I am going to throw in the towel and cut my losses...no point in getting more annoyed, losing more blood, and generally pissed off. Hell I have installed long tubes easier than this!

On another note, what is the part number of the Corvette Servo? I have my 2-4 servo out that came from the trans from the factory and can confirm or deny if these trannies do infact have this part...

Quick Reply: Billet servo install problems