Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which is the better mod per dollar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converter?????

Originally Posted by budhayes3
You don't have to pull the engine to swap a cam...if this mechanic is telling you that, I'd find a new mechanic. His recommendation of the Hookers was the first clue.

BTW, I agree that a custom tune should be the first mod, then I'd probably do a converter next, then some headers, then a cam...
uh whats a 'converter' and is this a 'bolt on'? .
on the 1st note i had seen online how a cam could be installed w/o pulling the engine.. the red light went on when he said this to me.... but i have 3 header bolts broken off and he said no problem in the range of 470 [ extract bolts and install the headers]....
I loooked into this BEAR Tunner cool
Old 09-15-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Regular

Default gears?

Originally Posted by fredkj3
bang for your buck..... 6.0 swap..... 800-1000 dollars... swap it yourself, we can answer any of your questions.... you can tune it later.. i ran it untuned for like 6 months... and i mean RAN it ....

but if not then i say gears and a tune... what gear is in it now?
dont know its a stock 04 5.3 1500
Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Default Ive learned so much

Originally Posted by fredkj3
you gotta want to.... Internet is a very useful tool... No one taught me how do a motor swap... Except common sense and the internet...
i have learned so much from the net on mechanics that yes i actually think i can do a cam swap[ and springs] 1 day but this is my only ride not a project .
Old 09-15-2010, 11:22 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supercharged680
why, whats wrong with hookers LT's?
Overpriced low quality with thin flanges, there are much better header options available

Originally Posted by 40series
uh whats a 'converter' and is this a 'bolt on'?
A torque converter, I guess that you could call it a "bolt-in" lol (as in "in the bellhousing"). I'd do a converter with a stall speed that is matched to the cam that you may be planning, and do a shift kit, servos, and big trans cooler at the same time as the torque converter
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Default Thinking abpout getting the black bear tune

Originally Posted by budhayes3
overpriced low quality with thin flanges, there are much better header options available

a torque converter, i guess that you could call it a "bolt-in" lol (as in "in the bellhousing"). I'd do a converter with a stall speed that is matched to the cam that you may be planning, and do a shift kit, servos, and big trans cooler at the same time as the torque converter
yeah ive heard and read alot about this black bear tune. Do you feel this should be done before or after a header install [pace setter?]
Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah ive heard and read alot about this black bear tune. Do you feel this should be done before or after a header install [pace setter?]
After you do the headers you should probably get a wideband to dial in the tune to completely correct
When you purchase a tune you usually pay for the initial licenses...then when you do more mods you call them with your updates..they reflash the pcm and send ya another
Old 09-15-2010, 05:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

You could do it either way, BlackBear offers free updates as you do more mods, so you can mod away! If it were me I'd do the tune first, and if the headers are not long behind, you can either have Justin tune for them from the start, or afterwards. BlackBear also offers "scan cable" tunes, where they send you a cable that goes from your laptop to your OBDII port in your truck, and you download a free version of EFILive (the software that Justin uses). You then drive around and log your truck and email Justin the logs, and he tunes accordingly...it's as close to an in person tune as you can get without him actually being there.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Default wideband ?

Originally Posted by NightmareTahoe
After you do the headers you should probably get a wideband to dial in the tune to completely correct
When you purchase a tune you usually pay for the initial licenses...then when you do more mods you call them with your updates..they reflash the pcm and send ya another
whats a wideband?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

whats a wideband?
A precise O2 sensor with a gauge so you can monitor your air/fuel ratio
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have learned so much from the net on mechanics that yes i actually think i can do a cam swap[ and springs] 1 day but this is my only ride not a project .
if i ever had to do it again... my first mod would've been the 6.0... instead of tenths you'll knock off 1 second and some tenths....

and for a daily driver..... a stock 6.0 would be way more friendly than a cam'ed 5.3..