Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which is better for FI motor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:52 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have TOG's i'll be putting on w/ my Radix... Flyer has the same setup and is seeing good results...
Old 03-29-2004, 06:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Id like to get this thing pretty much wrapped up in a weekend. Im going to install the vortech, 42lb injectors, new PCM, and 2/3 drop. Since the truck is so heavy (20's with 285/50) I dont know if that will put me where I want to be ( decisivley beating L's). Im debating on doing LT headers or SMC kit with a 9# pulley. Ive heard that headers make a substantial difference on FI motors, but which would be better?? The pulley and alk kit would be cheaper.
What do you guys suggest??
I think to decisively beat L's you'll need the 9# pulley long tubes and a good size stall.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:40 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
I think to decisively beat L's you'll need the 9# pulley long tubes and a good size stall.
Damn..I'm an idiot, you've got a vig 2800!!!

What does that thing stall at? What rpm does it drop back to after a shift?
Old 03-29-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black Blown 02
Damn..I'm an idiot, you've got a vig 2800!!!

What does that thing stall at? What rpm does it drop back to after a shift?
To be totally honest. I really havent gotten on it other than when I raced the SS silverado a day after the install. I havent taken note of what it stalls at or what the drop after shift is... .
Damn, I'll need 9# just for those ?? I really thought I'd be damn near 13's if not in them. Oh well....
Old 03-29-2004, 07:22 PM
12 Second Truck Club

To be totally honest. I really havent gotten on it other than when I raced the SS silverado a day after the install. I havent taken note of what it stalls at or what the drop after shift is... .
Damn, I'll need 9# just for those ?? I really thought I'd be damn near 13's if not in them. Oh well....
What do you run now?
With a centrifugal type supercharger, the more stall the better. Also, the more shift extension the better. You want to stay in the powerband as much as possible.

Well go out and get on it a little and check!
Old 03-29-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

To lay the smack down on a Lightning is gonna take a lot more than you have. That truck is DESIGNED to haulass, ours aren't. Once you realize that you'll be okay. They have a 3/4 ton transmission and rear axle then a roots blower on top of that. You may in time be able to take down a stock L, but even with light mods they get nasty fast!

I dont' think that PI converter stalls high enough for what you're trying to achive, with that little 5.3 isn't helping, nor are your 20" wheels. You're pushing a heavy vehicle around trying to make it do something it wasn't designed for.

Not to burst your bubble but I'd be shocked if you even can get it into the very low 14s as it sits now. You're asking a lot from it...
Old 03-29-2004, 08:24 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
To lay the smack down on a Lightning is gonna take a lot more than you have. That truck is DESIGNED to haulass, ours aren't. Once you realize that you'll be okay. They have a 3/4 ton transmission and rear axle then a roots blower on top of that. You may in time be able to take down a stock L, but even with light mods they get nasty fast!

I dont' think that PI converter stalls high enough for what you're trying to achive, with that little 5.3 isn't helping, nor are your 20" wheels. You're pushing a heavy vehicle around trying to make it do something it wasn't designed for.

Not to burst your bubble but I'd be shocked if you even can get it into the very low 14s as it sits now. You're asking a lot from it...
I agree Hitman. When I put on my ATI, I thought it would take down a lightning with just that. Turned out I needed 11psi, 3800 stall, FLP trans, and lots of tuning trial and error to take one down. I run about 1/2 sec quicker than a stock L now.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

It was originally stalled for 3000, I had it restalled before installing b/c I thought it would have better drivability.
So what are we talking here to get mid 13's. Ive got some money to play with so what do you think. Id like to keep the stall as is. I really like the drivability. So, Im looking at some TOG's, rebuilt tranny, 4.10's, Posi, ALK kit with 9-11# pulley. Well then rapidly degrading internals Im sure . What are the limits of the stock bottom end?? Will I need a new cam??
I know this is an uphill battle, but I like this vehicle..
Old 03-30-2004, 09:18 AM
12 Second Truck Club

It was originally stalled for 3000, I had it restalled before installing b/c I thought it would have better drivability.
So what are we talking here to get mid 13's. Ive got some money to play with so what do you think. Id like to keep the stall as is. I really like the drivability. So, Im looking at some TOG's, rebuilt tranny, 4.10's, Posi, ALK kit with 9-11# pulley. Well then rapidly degrading internals Im sure . What are the limits of the stock bottom end?? Will I need a new cam??
I know this is an uphill battle, but I like this vehicle..
With a good air/fuel ratio, as long as you keep your alky tank full, and don't let it detonate, your bottom end will easily handle pegging the MAF (~600 flywheel hp).

If you want more than 6-7 psi safely, I think you need to get edit, EFI live or a similar datalogging program and a wideband.

I think its gonna take 11psi with alky, TOG's, rebuilt tranny and possibly a bigger stall to get low 13's.

Don't worry about doing it all at once though. Doing things one mod at a time is half the fun. That way you can see what effects your times the most.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:48 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I think its a huge uphill battle with a centrifugal supercharger. If I had it to do over, I would've waited for the Radix to come out. I got my ATI about a year before it was released.

I really believe I would be faster with a radix@10psi and a 3000 stall, than I am with the ATI@11psi and a 3800 stall. You need horsepower under the curve to get these heavy things going.

Probably not what you want to hear, but an 8psi radix kit, and TOG's with your current stall will get you damn close to low 13's. Have you started installing the vortech yet?

Quick Reply: Which is better for FI motor??