Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone running a FAST intake on a DBW application???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone running a FAST intake on a DBW application???

Just wondering. I will be going FI in a few months and I'm just wondering what the best route is going to be. Will be shooting for 10's but 11's will still be sweet. Almost all I've seen have either been LS6 or Edelbrock, but they have been on cable trucks. Can you put a TBSS intake with DR. X harness on the FAST? Or would it be easier to just go all the way and just convert everything to cable? I would rather not but for HP sake I will if it will be easier in the long run. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

instead of blowing money on a fast setup, just put more boost to whatever intake you have.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still have the stock truck intake. I know it can only flow so much.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silvy6.0
I still have the stock truck intake. I know it can only flow so much.
EXACTLY!!!! I wish everyone understood this!!!!

Boost is a measure of restriction, not airflow!!

Get rid of a restriction, aka crappy intake, and you pick up airflow. Airflow is how you gain power. This means with a less restrictive intake you get more power with LESS boost!!! Which is easier on parts!

Then if you want you can turn the boost back up, and gain even more power!

I have a FAST LSXR on a DBW application.

The truck version LSXRT is going to be out soon too
Old 10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you're going the forced induction route, I would go with either the carb style Victor Jr with an elbow or the new Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT. Either one that can fit a 4-bolt 87-90mm throttle body can work with a DBW Throttle body, but you will have to change fuel rails etc. to fit, so it could get expense. The FAST (and factory) manifolds are designed for maximum cylinder fillings over a range of rpms/throttle positions on a naturally aspirated motor, so they make the runners longer to boost velocity, whereas forced induction takes care of that with boost.
However, on a N/A motor, the carb style/elbow or Pro-Flo XT manifolds, will give up a ton of midrange torque and HP to the factory or FAST, so if it's N/A, the FAST is the way to go.
Of course, if you're going to a Radix TVS (or other roots style) setup, they conveniently take care of the manifold at the same time.
That's my 2 cents anyhow...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Ive read up on the FAST and its good to 67lbs of boost.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any disadvantages or advantages from the car style or truck style, or is it just in the torque.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CI DENALI
If you're going the forced induction route, I would go with either the carb style Victor Jr with an elbow or the new Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT. Either one that can fit a 4-bolt 87-90mm throttle body can work with a DBW Throttle body, but you will have to change fuel rails etc. to fit, so it could get expense. The FAST (and factory) manifolds are designed for maximum cylinder fillings over a range of rpms/throttle positions on a naturally aspirated motor, so they make the runners longer to boost velocity, whereas forced induction takes care of that with boost.
However, on a N/A motor, the carb style/elbow or Pro-Flo XT manifolds, will give up a ton of midrange torque and HP to the factory or FAST, so if it's N/A, the FAST is the way to go.
Of course, if you're going to a Radix TVS (or other roots style) setup, they conveniently take care of the manifold at the same time.
That's my 2 cents anyhow...
i second that...
Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what I'm getting is FAST for N/A and LS6 for boost. I will be running either a TSP 402 or 408 with at least a t76. It will be built for mostly track use. But you know how that goes. Gotta show it off sometimes.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
EXACTLY!!!! I wish everyone understood this!!!!

Boost is a measure of restriction, not airflow!!

Get rid of a restriction, aka crappy intake, and you pick up airflow. Airflow is how you gain power. This means with a less restrictive intake you get more power with LESS boost!!! Which is easier on parts!

Then if you want you can turn the boost back up, and gain even more power!

I have a FAST LSXR on a DBW application.
What did you use for fuel rails, injectors, and fuel pump? I tried to find your build thread and couldn't find one.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a FAST intake on a DBW application???