Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone made their own long tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone made their own long tubes?

I've been thinking about making my own long tube headers. 800+ dollars for a set I just cant swallow! I've got access to a MIG welder... so I would probably just go with plain old mild-steel tubing. GM performance parts just came out with a header flange for the LS1 heads made specifically for making your own custom headers (part #12480130) and they are only $14 apiece! I cant decide on wether to buy a custom header kit from like jegs (with the primaries already pre-bent) or buying a bunch of like j-bends and 180's, etc. The sets you can purchase from jegs aren't made for our trucks, but I was thinking I could just order a set with the same OD as the stock headers and the header flanges from GM Performance Parts. Anyone know what size OD of the stock primaries are? What about the size of the collector and the size of the piping where the collector has to mate up to? Anyone words of wisdom on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:37 AM
TECH Veteran

If you've made headers in the past that's one thing but if this would be your first time, I would just buy pre-made headers. Yes I agree they are expensive but I know I'd pay that price again just to have them ready to bolt on.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Teching In

No, I have not made headers before but is always something that I have wanted to learn how to do. I have experience in mig, tig, stick, and brazing. I plan on going into the performance engine building aspect of the business soon, so it would be a good skill to have in my bag of tricks. This wouldn't be the last set I will ever make. For example, I just finished building an integra engine for my brothers civic hatchback - the engine costs pretty much drained his funds, but he is still short a header... if I can find a flange for it, I could easily weld him up a sexy custom header, for maybe 150 bucks vs. 600 or so. Plus, can you imagine the satisfaction of bolting up a set of long tubes you personally fabricated? I know that it is going to take a hell of a long time and alot of patience but I think it would be worth it.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you should make a few sets
Old 06-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Teching In

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...21&prmenbr=361

This is the kit that I was thinking about going with for the piping only. If the stock OD of the primaries is smaller than 1*7/8, then the piping from that kit will not work with the GM Performance parts flanges that I found. I guess I could get out my venier caliper and measure the primary tubing size and the size of the piping the collector is going to mate up to... but I just figured that one of you guys would know off the top of your head, since you live and breath modifying these trucks.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

saw a magazine today with an article about making your own headers, actually showed all the steps and everything. not sure wich one though, i'll look and see if i can find it
Old 06-22-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GroundControl
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...21&prmenbr=361

This is the kit that I was thinking about going with for the piping only. If the stock OD of the primaries is smaller than 1*7/8, then the piping from that kit will not work with the GM Performance parts flanges that I found. I guess I could get out my venier caliper and measure the primary tubing size and the size of the piping the collector is going to mate up to... but I just figured that one of you guys would know off the top of your head, since you live and breath modifying these trucks.
Those are for sprint cars or roadsters where there's lots of cleaarence. I'm sure you know your welding skill and could make a set. It's just that fitment is a crucial issue. I noticed on mine that the trans lines are potentially in the way on the right side. That said,you might be able to get the correct size and length tubes somewhere, considering the size of the GM perf. aftermarket.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GroundControl
No, I have not made headers before but is always something that I have wanted to learn how to do. I have experience in mig, tig, stick, and brazing. I plan on going into the performance engine building aspect of the business soon, so it would be a good skill to have in my bag of tricks.
That sounds like a good enough reason. Good luck, who knows maybe by this time next year you'll be selling them.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Carbon04-
That would be sweet - and would help out alot.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

the mag is called "BEST OF TECH" from car craft, i have never seen it before,i think its a special edition. the whole thing is about LS1 engines (trucks engines and LS6's too) anyway heres the cover, check it out, if you can't find it, let me know i'll scan the make ur own header page and pm it to u

Quick Reply: Anyone made their own long tubes?