Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

any results for hypertech on a duramax?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SJLingenfelter
I own a Diesel peformance shop and I ALWAYS talk people out of banks..."Banks will break your bank" I also recommend the Edge Juice. But if you want to go ALL OUT then follow me. Bully Dog has an awesome set up that was shown on TrucksTV. Setup includes either a 120hp box or a 218hp box and propane and NOS with a 600hp TC. So go in order 1) 4"Exhaust 2) Gauges 3) 600hp TC 4) Propane and NOS 5) HAVE FUN!!!!

The reason im saying LP and NOS is because NOS is a Oxygenator and LP is fuel so that right there makes a great combustion to go along with the diesel and its works.
With this setup your looking at some serious numbers and some serious numbers at the track if your in to racing diesels like me.

Let me know if you have any questions

SJLingenfelter
if you are going that way, just a tq convertor swap isnt gonna save the tranny. remember the stock tranny is only good for stock tq ratings. we havnt broke ours yet, but expect to at any time. just part of the business of making 1000 ft lbs of tq at the motor.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

My friends truck is a 6 speed. It doesnt have the allison in it. So he doesnt have to worry about the converter. Although i dont know if the stock clutch will hold that much torque. Anyone have any experience with the 6 spd behind the duramax? Also what kind of gains will the superchips tuner give you? And does anyone have prices on the edge box that will give 100+hp and 300+ torque?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

The superchips tune for a D-max goes 95 hp on the max setting. I recommend the superchips product to people, tell your friend to get the superchips and use the money he saves for a pyrometer and boost gauge. A few things to keep in mind about the superchips programmer; it has three hp settings the 95 hp setting is not recomended for towing, It will read codes when your check engine light comes on.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smartass6885
My friends truck is a 6 speed. It doesnt have the allison in it. So he doesnt have to worry about the converter. Although i dont know if the stock clutch will hold that much torque. Anyone have any experience with the 6 spd behind the duramax? Also what kind of gains will the superchips tuner give you? And does anyone have prices on the edge box that will give 100+hp and 300+ torque?
I used to have a d-max with a 6 speed. Tranny is tough altought I don't remember the specs and the rest of the drivetrain will hold a ton of power. Problem is on these and trust me I had one.... GM uses a dual mass flywheel in there ZF 6 speed trannys. SAME EXACT one that f@@d used in there super dukies. They are total junk. The dual mass has cusions in it to protect the drivetrain from the torque overload when the motor is in a "lugging" state (below the idle speed) These cusions go out in a hurry when much force is applied to them over the stock ratings.
Trust me I know I had the first edge hot juice version and it cost me 2200 in parts and labor only after a few thousand miles of use of the box. And GM doesn't cover the flywheel after 3 yr 36 even though it has 100K drivetrain protection. Needless to say I sold truck right afterwards.

So first thing to spend money on would be a single layer race clutch and flywheel. Just my .02.

If you want to see picts or my old truck with the flywheel shreaded and rubber and **** all over the under carriage...... pm me.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

The problem with a solid flywheel in front of any ZF transmision is that without that cushion the syncronizers will face premature wear.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

So first thing to spend money on would be a single layer race clutch and flywheel.
With a single layer clutch you will blow it apart with just stock tq. You need a dual disk or a triple disk. Single disk wont last worth ****.

Smartass6885,
Go to Edge and get their Aditude with the in cab adjustable with 5 settings. This thing also shows your EGT, BOOST, TRANNY. I thknk thats a best bang for it. Call me at Superior Diesel Peformance 281-923-9145 thats my personal cell so if I dont pick up leave a message. Thanks

SJLingenfelter
Old 01-19-2004, 09:10 AM
7 Second Club

Another Edge Hot Juice user here.I have used most of the programmers on the market in a variety of vehicles and the hot juice is the ****.I have to be careful on the cold roads up here if I get on the throttle more than halfway it will light up the 33 inch tires up to 50 mph.The other programmer are cheaper but don't make as much power.I run 14's in a 7300 lb crewcab 4x4 longbed that gets 19 mpg @80mph empty.The truck only has about 15 passes,I could have went faster but retired it from racing.I run with and sometimes beat stock 80's Mustang's and IROC-Z's in my crewcab diesel pickup truck.I find that more fun than whuppin up on another car in my Z06 or SS.It has something to do with the truck being enormous and the big cloud of black smoke puffing from the tailpipe.Hot Juice rules.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJLingenfelter
With a single layer clutch you will blow it apart with just stock tq. You need a dual disk or a triple disk. Single disk wont last worth ****.

Smartass6885,
Go to Edge and get their Aditude with the in cab adjustable with 5 settings. This thing also shows your EGT, BOOST, TRANNY. I thknk thats a best bang for it. Call me at Superior Diesel Peformance 281-923-9145 thats my personal cell so if I dont pick up leave a message. Thanks

SJLingenfelter
Well..... That is what I was told to buy through my research on thedieselpage.com after it cost me >2000 worth of parts and labor. I am not saying it will fall apart... but mine did with the same power box so..... new flywheel at 2200 parts and labor + edge box at ~ 7-800 = too expensive for my tastes. I know a few others that have failed to but my dads truck with hot juice 4.0/edge attitude moniter will give my truck a serious run until it puts his tranny into limp mode that is
just my .02