Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amy's Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amy's Truck

Hey guys! Here is all my info I promised on my truck...
5.7 LS6 block/crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, T.E.A. 5.3 truck heads, 2.02 intake, stock exhaust valves, TR 224cam, truck intake with 8.1 liter injectors, Shaner S2 throttle body, UPD intake, ASP balancer/pulley, ASM headers, 2 1/2" duals with Dynomax race bullets, Yank PT 4000 convertor, 4.10 gears, Eaton posi., MT 11.50-28 ET streets, Flexalite fans, Parts & tuning-Thunder Racing, (great People), Machine work(honing,balancing)-Roberie Engineering(Lafayette),. Special thanks to Baker's Transmissions here in Orange, Texas.
Now for the suspension, no secrets here either,. Yes I do probably have more hours getting this to work than on anything else. I've tried jsut about everything from stock height to lowered to somewhere inbetween. I've got a pile of coil springs, leaf springs and shocks here in the shop(We need to have a garage sell. Whats funny is where it seems to work best is almost back stock. I guess the GM engineers arent that bad after all. Here goes-stock coil springs, stock leaf springs,overload sppring removed and shackles to level ride height, removed sway bar, QA1 shocks front and rear, Caltracs,. The trick to maing it all work is in the shock & bar settings. It likes everything on the loose side to get this thing to pitch/rotate some load to the rear tires. Shocks set at 0 front, 4 or 5 rear, Caltracs set in lower hole in front mount, adjusted just touching spring with no preload. 4 1/2 degrees pinion angle. I still run the spare tire to help with weight distribution.These trucks have so much left side weight bias (battery, driver, fuel tank) then the first thing we all do is take about 40 lbs. of the stock exhaust off the right side that make it even more pronounced. Use a spacer if you have to under the left front spring to level the ride height (with driver) to help equalize the weight on the rear tires. The truck really needs more tire to be more consistant, the narror stock wheels really hurt here. I just hate having to go to an afttermarket wheel and lose the stock look. We're actually having a pair or wheels being bulit now to try, theyre 15" x 10". IF they work they will give us a much better tire selection. Of course with a bigger tire(taller) I'll also have to put more gear in it if we stay N.A. anyway. We'll take a poll on that, what do ya'll think. About running at HRP, it seems we're snakebite there. We've been there twice in the last couple of months and have been rained out both times. The new IHRA track in Evadale is a good place3 to test, it's a good track and you can usually get as many passes as you want. By the way we had a '98 LS1 Camaro that ran in the 11's and yes the truck has been a lot more fun. Hope we haven't missed anything, Thanks for all your support. If we can be of any help dont hesitate to send us an email. Here it is again, sthomas1@gt.rr.com.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:38 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Amy's Truck

Amy, first off let me be the first to complement you on an incredible truck! That is an impressive list of mods, one that must have set you back months in design and research! Thanks for listing your mods, that will help alot of us with our goals and hopfully show others out there that trucks are fast too! Do you have any pics available that you can post? I am interested in seeing some detailed pics of the engine bay.

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome truck Amy.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That truck is bad ***! My friend Joel (known as joejoe on here)has his suspension setup similiar to that. He did it after the supercharger install and it helped quite a bit. I think he is running drop coils still though.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:45 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so I am wondering if I go with a dropped spindle and the stock springs if that will help my weight transfer....
Old 08-05-2003, 03:20 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

that truck is sic!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Hey BlownCevy...I talked to my Dad and he said this...
For drag racing purposes, spindles would be one of your best options for lowering. They allow you to take advantage of the long, lightly wound stock spring. Also the stock length shock for more front end travel.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Hey BlownChevy...Thanks...I will be glad to post you some pics of under the hood area...Except for the headers it looks like it came from the factory...My Dad is really particular about that(stock look)...He doesnt even like my cowl hood, thats my thing The only reason he let me have that is because its lighter
Old 08-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Shark!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks I8AHEMI!

Quick Reply: Amy's Truck