Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

AMW catch can not up to par...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMW catch can not up to par...

During my injector swap, I decided to take a look at the heads on the 6.0l. The pics aren't pretty. Here is a comparison between my 50k mile 5.3l without a catch can and egr and the 40k mile 6.0 with the AMW catch can and no EGR.

5.3l:

6.0l

Also look at the valvetrain.

5.3l with Penzoil Dino Oil:

6.0l with Synthetic after breakin :

What do you all think?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that I'd blame all of that on the catch can...easiest way to see if the catch can is doing it's job is to check the vacuum hose from the can to the intake and check for the presence of oil. Alot of what you're seeing could be attributed to alot of different things...like how's the tune? Running richer than before possibly, maybe running a little warmer, running it a little harder, going with longer oil change intervals...etc. The catch can shouldn't cause the heads (under the valve covers) to look gummed up like that unless it somehow is hindering the performance of the PCV system. Not to mention, even with a clean PCV system, some carbon is gonna form on the intake runners, valves, combustion chambers, etc.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vent tube on the pass side valve cover is also a problem!! See if theres oil in it!! I capped that line off and installed a breather. Intakes dam clean now.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I don't think that I'd blame all of that on the catch can...easiest way to see if the catch can is doing it's job is to check the vacuum hose from the can to the intake and check for the presence of oil. Alot of what you're seeing could be attributed to alot of different things...like how's the tune? Running richer than before possibly, maybe running a little warmer, running it a little harder, going with longer oil change intervals...etc. The catch can shouldn't cause the heads (under the valve covers) to look gummed up like that unless it somehow is hindering the performance of the PCV system. Not to mention, even with a clean PCV system, some carbon is gonna form on the intake runners, valves, combustion chambers, etc.
I guess I got a bit off topic once I dug deeper into the top end. There is oil on the line from the can to the intake and the intake itself is drenched in oil despite the catch can and newer PCV valve. I only get about 2 ounces of oil when I drain the catch can every oil change.

As for the valvetrain, I'm amazed how much sludge is built up in there. The motor has been run a bit harder, mainly from the tow across country. I did pop the valve covers off sometime last year to check my rockers and springs. All was well then. Probably 20k miles ago. I'm running 5,000 miles between synthetic oil changes.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that's a bummer about the oil in the intake...especially after the price we've paid for those catch cans. That sludge is pretty discouraging, I'd be bummed too

Hey Silver, how's that LS6 pcv conversion working out??? Think I might go that route when I do the 6.0....
Old 04-24-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Man, that's a bummer about the oil in the intake...especially after the price we've paid for those catch cans. That sludge is pretty discouraging, I'd be bummed too

Hey Silver, how's that LS6 pcv conversion working out??? Think I might go that route when I do the 6.0....
Hardly anything in the can when I check it.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

I know the guy a guy here in College Station that works a AMW. I can ask him about it, but I agree that it is probably not the catchcans fault.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I opened up the catch can this morning and to my suprise, it was still about a 1/4 full. Looks like the draincock is getting clogged up. Take a look at these pics.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Launching!

thats supposed to catch oil not
seriously though, that looks like alot of sludge
Old 04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

WOW!!!!
The oil in my catch can is nice and clean

Quick Reply: AMW catch can not up to par...