Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket fuel rail and FPR location

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket fuel rail and FPR location

I've learned on here from others that the ideal setup would be to Y the fuel line, and run them to the back of the fuel rails. Then, have a line connecting the fuel rails in the front, with a FPR on that line.

What would be the drawback of running a single line to the back of one of the rails. Then, have a line connecting the rails in the front, and have a FPR on the back of the other rail?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest to connect the rails at the front, and at the back. Think about the fuel flow. To feed the #7 cylinder, fuel would have to pass 8,6,4,2,1,3,and 5 before making it to the last cylinder. It would be sort of like those sprinkler hoses that shoot a good stream out close to the water supply, and barely leak anything out at the end of the hose.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I would suggest to connect the rails at the front, and at the back. Think about the fuel flow. To feed the #7 cylinder, fuel would have to pass 8,6,4,2,1,3,and 5 before making it to the last cylinder. It would be sort of like those sprinkler hoses that shoot a good stream out close to the water supply, and barely leak anything out at the end of the hose.
I understand the logic of that thinking. If you use the same theory, wouldn't the same be true for cylinders 2 and 8 with stock rails?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the stock fuel system the fuel enters both sides in the middle of the rail (between 3 and 5, and between 4 and 6). At least it is that way on my 99, and was that way on my 05's original intake.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
On the stock fuel system the fuel enters both sides in the middle of the rail (between 3 and 5, and between 4 and 6). At least it is that way on my 99, and was that way on my 05's original intake.
I have one feed line on my stock rails. The feed line attaches to the crossover tube on the driver's side, so cylinders 2 and 8 would be the last ones reached.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use just a single line. For it to be a problem your fuel injectors would have to outflow the fuel line connected to the fuel rails. Thats pretty unlikely. Also if you don't have enough fuel pump it would make this worse.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brent5631
You could use just a single line. For it to be a problem your fuel injectors would have to outflow the fuel line connected to the fuel rails. Thats pretty unlikely. Also if you don't have enough fuel pump it would make this worse.
I've seen guys do it both ways, just didn't know if a single line would cause a problem.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Should be fine to feed one, loop thru the other and let the FPR dump the rest. I just really liked the idea of Ying into the back of both
Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
Should be fine to feed one, loop thru the other and let the FPR dump the rest. I just really liked the idea of Ying into the back of both
Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before I replace everything.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

And the dam Y's are expensive!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket fuel rail and FPR location