Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on 5.3l Going into an S10 Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 5.3l Going into an S10 Truck

Hey guys i've been on the site a while looking around and the best way to put it is you guys are the ****!

On to the good stuff though, im putting a 5.3l into a 98 s10 pickup truck. I have a couple questions about stuff to do to it.

So far i have sanderson shorty headers (only ones that fit), elec fans, homemade CAI, and a diablosport tunner. The swap is not yet complete but i was wondering if i should look into getting an Aftermarket MAF or a bigger throttle body? Or was wondering if you guys had any suggestions, my goal is to do bolt ons and get to 300hp at the wheels. Then after its complete and i fix up any bugs it might have i will either be putting nitrous or a supercharger on!

Let me know what you guys think i am open to any suggestions! Below is a pick of where i am so far, as you can see there is a lot to go which is why i want to be putting stuff on while i can still get to it.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats pretty decent looking!!!!!!!!!

what brackets are you using for the motor mounts?

truck or car acessories or vette acessories?

you really dont need a new t/b or maf for a 5.3 if anything i'd put a 222/224 cam in it a decent stall and some 3.73's

you can always port your own t/b theres a how to floating around tech somewhere
Old 05-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

K that what i thought i would hear about the MAF and TB but just checkin before i spent money on a stocker. I would do a cam, but don't want to kill myself. I'll do that later on there is enought that could go wrong now without me putting in a cam.

Engine mounts are from current performance and they are truck acessories.

Do you think its too early to know what kinda torque converter i need? What would you guys recommend and how much would it help?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice work man, post some more pics up. Im eventually swapping an LS2 with a T56 into my extreme but im trying to get a good idea of whats going to be involved.

Alex
Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Teching In

How about i use my pictures as blackmail till i get answers lol. Just kidding i have work in the morning but i'll make sure to post a bunch tomorrow for you guys!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 AM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a memeber on this site..or gmfullsize...that has a xtreme with a 5.3L in it...anybody..help me out
Old 05-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Looks awesome, great work!

I have a 5.3/4L60E currently waiting in the wings to go into my '01 S10. I am going to use the truck accessories like you, but I am going back and forth on whether to use the LS1 manifold or "big ugly". I have seen TONS of great info over on LS1Tech in the Conversions forum - do a quick search and you'll dig up more than you can read in a day.

What oil pan are you using? I think I am going the modified truck pan (budget) route - although the word is that the LS2 pan fits much easier.

Nice picture, keep us up to date!

Brent
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Teching In

I've look lots into the Ls1 car intake also but from what i understand you shouldn't instal it unless you are completly building the engine for that rpm range. Basically the LS1 car intake is made for a different rpm band then our truck engines and in swaping it you **** up your powerband.

Ya like i said the reason i'm building mine is cause i crashed it, so i'm not looking for a cam or anything crazy just some mods to spice it up.

I acutally took the frame down to the bare bones no suspension or anything before i wired wheeled it and painted it. Where i'm stuck now is, i'm broke cause i just got back from college.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Teching In

So what stall would you guys recomend, or is it not worth it considering my mods?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

a "stall" is definitely worth it...if you're not wanting to do a cam you can get ya a cheap TB stall or something like a tt2600 or something similar...

Quick Reply: Advice on 5.3l Going into an S10 Truck