Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80 PSI fuel pressure with the engine off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok unless i'm forgetting something I believe the regulator dosen't operate untill the engine is on and the regulator is getting vacuum (hence the vacuum line running to it from the intake manifold)

When I replaced my fuel pump i could get it to pump up to 75psi or so by keeping the engine off and turning the key to the on position 2-3 times in a row (fuel pump only pumps for a few seconds each time the key is clicked foward) but while running and idling it would stay at around 58-60psi constantly.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon_6667
Ok unless i'm forgetting something I believe the regulator dosen't operate untill the engine is on and the regulator is getting vacuum (hence the vacuum line running to it from the intake manifold)

When I replaced my fuel pump i could get it to pump up to 75psi or so by keeping the engine off and turning the key to the on position 2-3 times in a row (fuel pump only pumps for a few seconds each time the key is clicked foward) but while running and idling it would stay at around 58-60psi constantly.
This is not true.

The regulator is mechanical, it works anytime it sees fuel pressure no matter if the engine is running or not, and no matter if it has vacuum or not (hint: at WOT it doesn't have any vacuum, it's the same as removing that line).

With Key on Engine Off you should see 58-60 PSI
With Key on Engine idle you should see 50-52 PSI
With Key on Engine WOT you should see 58-60 PSI (unless you have a supercharger or turbo)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Launching!

not that they are the smartest, but 2 different techs at the local GM dealership told me this and after checking the pressure on and off it seemed to do exactly what they said. But i don't know for sure
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

not that they are the smartest, but 2 different techs at the local GM dealership told me this and after checking the pressure on and off it seemed to do exactly what they said. But i don't know for sure
Pull the vacuum line off your regulator and start the truck, it will run fine. If the regulator didn't work you would have infinite fuel pressure until something failed. Probably an injector around 120 PSI or the check valve in the pump.

Last edited by ArthurJGuy; 09-28-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Launching!

I see, makes sense. Looks like yet more incorrect info from another one of the local gm dealership's "ASE certified" techs LOL
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

I see, makes sense. Looks like yet more incorrect info from another one of the local gm dealership's "ASE certified" techs LOL
ASE Certified is a joke anymore. I took the ASE Certification tests for a friend when I was in 9th grade, wasn't that hard. Most people assume because it's the dealership that they are right and the best source of parts and information, that is seldom the case.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

People try and help and you pull an attitude?

Hope you get it figured out, sounds like it's a little frustrating for ya.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
People try and help and you pull an attitude?

Hope you get it figured out, sounds like it's a little frustrating for ya.
People suggesting unrelated things that were verified as not the problem back on page one and not providing any relative information to what I was after isn't much help.

Had you read the post, you'd know that I already found out that there was a blockage somewhere downstream of the regulator.

Building these cars is a hobby that I enjoy, it doesn't frustrate me. People that can't read and offer me soup when I ask them how to prepare a salad frustrate me. Everyone wants to be an expert on the internet, especially if they have a higher post count than you, most of them are barely qualified to do an oil change.

Last edited by ArthurJGuy; 09-28-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ArthurJGuy
Ha no, there has to be a blockage somewhere between the hardline under the car and the venturi in the tank. I'll troubleshoot that tonight.
Originally Posted by ArthurJGuy
People suggesting unrelated things that were verified as not the problem back on page one and not providing any relative information to what I was after isn't much help.

Had you read the post, you'd know that I already found out that there was a blockage somewhere downstream of the regulator.

Building these cars is a hobby that I enjoy, it doesn't frustrate me. People that can't read and offer me soup when I ask them how to prepare a salad frustrate me. Everyone wants to be an expert on the internet, especially if they have a higher post count than you, most of them are barely qualified to do an oil change.
I read all the posts and while some maybe didn't catch everything you said they were trying to help you. Try to not come of as a know it all and be polite if someone suggest something that was already suggested or you think is pointless.

If you read your post I quoted for you you hinted that you think that is the problem, you have yet to prove it since you said you will troubleshoot it tonight, hence why I said good luck.

Either way I am far from a mechanic and never claimed to be and thus have no advice.

Good luck, hopefully your hunch is the actual problem and you can get it sorted out.

Last edited by ak2007r6; 09-28-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, that is where I think the problem is now.

However the topic here was about the fuel pressure regulator either failing or being over worked, which I verified as working properly and within its capacity back on page 4. No one has offered any assistance or input on the blockage, nor have I asked for any.

Quick Reply: 80 PSI fuel pressure with the engine off?