Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 rib pulliey setup done, and a few extras

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 rib pulliey setup done, and a few extras

well after about 3 months in the making i got all my new pullies on. bye bye belt slip. i had ati make me a complete custom 8 rib pulley kit. lucky i had a set of the stock pullies laying around to send them for mock up. only pulley i kept was the waterpump pulley which will just perfectly work for an 8 rib.
i also got some carbon fiber covers made by art a.k.a. 12's rock and they came out very nice. he made the pcm cover and fuse box cover, also i will be adding the radiator cover.thanks to anonymous also for letting me use his crank pulley puller

the blower was also rebuilt recently due to some oil problems. not to mention throught in a new steering shaft while i was all dirty. changing the pullies is easy if you have the right tools.

since i had all the brackets and stuff off i deceided to have the water pump and alt/blower bracket polished, and all the bolts chromed.

i was lucky the only 8 rib belt i had fit perfectly , the next closest sizes are almost 2 inches longer or shorter. and when i run the smaller blower pulley i just change out an idler with a bigger diameter to make up for the belt slack.( i actually thought this one through)

well here are the pics

now to get the meth wired up and make an appointment for the dyno tune.

Last edited by 2004SSS; 10-30-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you suck! Hey I have a mortgage payment due this week, wanna hook a brutha up? awesome work man. Gald to see if you are gonna do it, might as well get dirty and do it right! Looks f-ng killer and now that you have belt slip handled, you just have to worry about belt shredding. If it ain't one thing it's another. Nice work though Chase.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats ******* sick!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
you suck! Hey I have a mortgage payment due this week, wanna hook a brutha up? awesome work man. Gald to see if you are gonna do it, might as well get dirty and do it right! Looks f-ng killer and now that you have belt slip handled, you just have to worry about belt shredding. If it ain't one thing it's another. Nice work though Chase.
well i had some problems with belt shredding , i dont know what caused it but sometimes after an awd burnout my belt would throw and get caught up and shred it self to death. lol i got it warrantied at napa right after but they wouldnt help me again. i went through 120 bucks in belts that day. i need to order a back up just in case because these are a rare belt.

thanks for the comments.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 PM

AWESOME job bro!

Bill
Old 10-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Really nice and clean setup
Old 10-31-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shredding is caused by the accessories overspinning the crank during rapid decelleration. That will bottom out the tensioner and allow the belt to go slack. The best way to prevent it is to re-engineer the placement of the tensioner so that it can only take up slack, not give it up. That means that when the belt is at rest it should be tight enough to not slip without the tensioner doing anything. The purpose of the tensioner then becomes taking up the slack from stretch only. Doing this requires the use of a fixed or adjustable idler in the tensioner's place, and then installation of a tensioner between that idler pulley and the crank pulley pushing against the back of the belt to take up the slack.
I have an idea for a crank pulley or harmonic damper that would eliminate this problem, but it is still in the conceptual stages.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beautiful Chase. How close are your tranny lines to the A/C tensioner and belt? I know it doesn't apply to your topic but just curious as I had to cable tie mine down. Yours look the same.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Man, Grippy would be proud of you! Nice bling! Great setup!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn Chase Thats A Bitchen Setup

Quick Reply: 8 rib pulliey setup done, and a few extras