Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.2 AWD. Let's get down to business.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2 AWD. Let's get down to business.

This is my first post here, and hope you guys can help! I was referred here by a good friend of mine (Zach) with the procharged blue SS silverado. Ok, so I'm done with the exterior mods and such with my truck. It's time to make this thing FAST. I bought an AWD one with the intentions of good launches. So far- K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler only, And it has an EDGE CTS programmer (hate it). This week I am getting American Racing 1 7/8" with ceramic coating installed with Catless midpipes. Also it is getting HP tuned here locally and I'm getting rid of the Edge. What's next? Stall converter and Cam are the next steps unless you guys have a better idea. There is "gypsy denali" on youtube with full bolt on's, LT's, cam and stall, and he is beating C6 corvettes. I want that. Later on down the line, I will eventually boost it and maybe some spray when it doesn't become a daily driver. What would yall suggest on Cam's and Stall? Mind you I have 24's but also would be running 17" yukon wheels when going to the track and such. I want this thing to lope pretty good and be loud. Should I get crazy and do an electric cut out? Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like your on the right track. Def get rid of that hand held tune and get a custom tune. Your already getting the headers and you muffler is pretty good so yeah I would say cam and stall that thing. You will make some really good power. After that get it ready for some boost! Lol good thing your AWD as with a stall that thing will get out of the hole good. That Denali truck you talk about is on this forum and yeah I have seen his videos too truck def moves.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't those 6.2 motors have displacement on demand or whatever it's called? If so, that will have to be removed/disabled before you can cam it.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No the 6.2s don't have dod or at least in the trucks they don't. They have variable valve timing.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 PM

Thanks Three6! Yeah VVT for the trucks anyway. I can't wait to see the differences that the headers make! Will it sound much different? I'm hoping so.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

I assume your in or around longview? where are you getting it tuned? im looking to get my wifes denali tuned but dont know who to go to. sorry to thread jack.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, but even with VVT you have to swap in a different timing set and front cover if you change the cam.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by onebad03
I assume your in or around longview? where are you getting it tuned? im looking to get my wifes denali tuned but dont know who to go to. sorry to thread jack.
Yeah I live in longview! I'm getting Lucky's performance to do it for me. The guy that owns it is a good friend of mine and he actually flies around the world to do tuning. I would recommend him. $350 for a tune and free re-tunes. Ill keep an eye out for your truck!
Originally Posted by batboy
Ok, but even with VVT you have to swap in a different timing set and front cover if you change the cam.
So...what does this mean in dumb people terms? more $$$?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by batboy
I see people on here bash VVT and say get rid of it on the new motors when you do a cam swap but VVT isnt all that bad. My fiances step dad has a 91 RS camaro with a 6.0 LY6, bone stock motor other than a Texas Speed VVT cam and its a freakin monster! If i had a newer motor, especially the 6.2 id keep the VVT.

On another note, glad to see you on the forum Nick! We're gunna do some work to that nali and have her runnin good in no time!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Yes sir!! I can't wait. FSC was a great forum that I have been a part of for about 6 years but it just seems like after I got the denali everything over there was old and inferior haha. I feel more at home with the atmosphere at this forum. Sometimes I wish I would have bought something cheaper and used the money to make it faster. oh well haha. Lord know's im excited about building a house but i really want some boost ): lol

Quick Reply: 6.2 AWD. Let's get down to business.