Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L T-Stat Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 5.3L T-Stat Question

Someone told me recently that the OEM t-stat that GM makes for the 5.3L engine is "fail safe" in that if it ever fails it fails in the open position so the coolant will still be able to flow and not overheat the engine.

Anybody know if there is there any truth to this?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrz
Someone told me recently that the OEM t-stat that GM makes for the 5.3L engine is "fail safe" in that if it ever fails it fails in the open position so the coolant will still be able to flow and not overheat the engine.

Anybody know if there is there any truth to this?
I've heard this myth debunked from personal experiences where they will fail at any old way they fail.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM
Launching!

OK, thanks. That means the OE design is not actually fail safe.

Looks like I'm going to go ahead and remove the T-stat from it's original place so I can install a T-stat housing which can accept a MotoRad fail safe T-stat.

I've used these for years on my vehicles and others and if they fail they do actually fail in the open position.

I like this idea to help prevent coolant from being blocked in the event the T-stat happens to fail which I know is not often and may even be unlikely... just want a little something extra to help protect my nice aluminum LS engine.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Teching In

OK, thanks. That means the OE design is not actually fail safe.

Looks like I'm going to go ahead and remove the T-stat from it's original place so I can install a T-stat housing which can accept a MotoRad fail safe T-stat.

I've used these for years on my vehicles and others and if they fail they do actually fail in the open position.

I like this idea to help prevent coolant from being blocked in the event the T-stat happens to fail which I know is not often and may even be unlikely... just want a little something extra to help protect my nice aluminum LS engine.
How many miles are you changing it? I flushed my coolant a few months ago and should e changed it then. Only have 46k on my 2012 though
Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Launching!

The truck I'm working on is new to me and only has about 24k on it and it's a 2009 model.

I was reading up on the science behind coolant and it's effect on engines and the general consensus is to do flush the system it about every couple of years, maybe 3 at the most.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Teching In

The truck I'm working on is new to me and only has about 24k on it and it's a 2009 model.

I was reading up on the science behind coolant and it's effect on engines and the general consensus is to do flush the system it about every couple of years, maybe 3 at the most.
Dexcool is supposedly good for 5 years or 150k miles
Old 03-31-2017, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Dexicool is corrosive... I'll be getting rid of that stuff for sure!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Dexicool is corrosive... I'll be getting rid of that stuff for sure!

Nah, I've never seen anything being corroded from it. I think jay myth was debunked as well
Old 03-31-2017, 03:31 PM
Launching!

There were a ton of lawsuits filed against GM over this and it almost was granted class action status.

GM changed the materials they use for gaskets and sealants that are not effected by Dexicool as much as before... but Dexicool does contain corrosive components as well as other popular coolants.

A little searching on the net will reveal more info about this if one is interested in knowing more.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Anybody ever find a Fail Safe T-stat for LS engines?

Quick Reply: 5.3L T-Stat Question