Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 doesn't suck so bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:17 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a few stock V-6 (3.8l) long blocks that are pushing 550rwhp. PUSH IT !
Old 11-25-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Now that parish has done this test, this helps to prove alot of about cubes and boost. This is another reason why I am not building a big cube motor to reach my 900hp goal. Cubes dont make the difference on FI. Especially turbo. Yes it is nice for more torque on the bottom, but thats only because its a long arm motor. The key is bore, and a few other tiny factors. You can make tons of power on the stock cubes, or even a 370. Plus if you look at the power ratio, I bet the smaller motor will win that contest. ITs kinda like having all these VW 1.8 turbo cars making 400+ at the wheels on lots of boost.

Rick
Old 11-25-2004, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hows that megasquirt workin for you? How do you have that setup? Thats a standalone correct? Harness?
Old 11-25-2004, 11:51 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am still up in the air a little on this one. my previous motor had a big cam, probably too big for a 6.0 turbo. The thing fells good for sure, i can light them up at 40mph still but it is much cooler out. one for the 4.8 side is i was running 15+psi and good fuel when i last drove the 6.0 and i am now running 10psi and pump. it feels slower for sure but not as much as i would have thought.

the dyno will tell a lot but there is a problem. most of my dyno runs are on a local mustang dyno, they really take care in puting in the right corection factors and all of that. my good numbers were on a dynojet and they were just pumping people thru. now with the 4.8 i will be back on the local mustang. what i can say for sure is i will be pushing the 408 on the very same mustang dyno bofore too long so if the numbers dont tell us much right now they will when that motor hits the dyno..

there will be some prety acurate numbers from a stock 4.8 vs a camed 408.

here is another one to think about, the turbo kit is really a great set up for a stock motor like the 4.8 or 5.3 or 6.0, start adding cubes and cranking the boost and the log style manifold and single 3" down pipe will likely hurt the potential of the 408, a single t76 is far from ideal for a 408 also. eventual that wont be an issue either though
Old 11-25-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Think of your motor like a GIant hydraulic right now under boost, because thats what it is. What is a Diesel? A giant hydraulic. Now think about how a diesel motor is setup and why it makes good torque.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:34 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Think of your motor like a GIant hydraulic right now under boost, because thats what it is. What is a Diesel? A giant hydraulic. Now think about how a diesel motor is setup and why it makes good torque.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Rotflmfao
Old 11-25-2004, 12:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

LOL@Parish! You biter! Hahaha
Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Hows that megasquirt workin for you? How do you have that setup? Thats a standalone correct? Harness?
many guys use it is a stand alone on their cars, they completely toss the factory pcm. i dont think that is an option for us since the factory pcm runs soo much stuff.

i really like the mega squirt and have been waiting to get a few more features wired into the truck to really write something up on it. right now it is doing my fueling and monitoring my wideband(makeing real time corections). next we are hooking up the nitrous stuff, running a small dry shot and leting the injectors add fuel for it, it looks very cool and so far everything we have tried works.

we do have a problem we need to find before we go much farther, there is a slight idle miss, it doesn't have much effect on things but it is anoying. it was also kind of hard to get fired up with my lap top but i have a hard time with everything i try to hook to it. not having any real serial ports and having to work thru adapters seems to always cause conflicts. the real time tuning is amazing.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by parish8
Yeah I figured I would comfuse someone. If you look at a diesel motor, you will see its a long rod motor. Yes a diesel only spins 3k, but the motor and the forces are the same on whats happening on the inside. Power is there in a long rod motor. If you are going to stroke a motor, then you would have to put as long of a rod as possible to get maximum HP out of it.

Rick

Quick Reply: 4.8 doesn't suck so bad!!