Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Stainless resonators

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Stainless resonators

Hey guys. I'm going to be getting longtubes soon and currently have a JBA catback on my Yukon. Problem is, the JBA has the same design as the magnaflow and drones slightly around 75mph (3.73 gears). My question is has anyone tried one of these "ebay resonators?"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-UNI...QQcmdZViewItem

It looks okay, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any first-hand experience with them. Also, what would you guys recommend to get rid of the drone wtihout replacing the muffler? I have seen the JBA and the magnaflow side-by-side and there's no difference at all except the magnaflow logo isn't on the JBA.

Let me know!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Bump...Anyone have a sound clip of LT's with a magnaflow muffler/catback with a Dynomax bullet? Some type of resonator?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
Bump...Anyone have a sound clip of LT's with a magnaflow muffler/catback with a Dynomax bullet? Some type of resonator?
I can try to get you a sound clip, but last time I tried for someone else I was unsuccessful. I have a weld in Magnaflow muffler and I added a magnaflow resonator in front of it before I put my LT's on. I have had the LT's on for about a week now and I think it sounds great. I did have some resonance before I put them on, but now with the LT's, no cats, magnaflow resonator and muffler I have almost no drone. I think you would be happy going that route.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

I'd say open it up to 3" pipe all the way out and that should kill the popping you are probably having. But the drone....can be solved by adding another resonator or another straight thru muffler.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have any popping. My problem is drone. I want that aggressive sound...without the drone or paying 23048639486 dollars for some Corsa ****, lol
Old 04-15-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Did you ever find a good solution to your drone? I just installed my LT headers with a magnaflow catback and now the drone driving around town and on the highway is almost unbearable. I am looking for a way to solve this problem too. I was thinking about having a dynomax bullet or something similar installed in front of the muffler.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Launching!

I get a drone right around 1800 to 1900 rpms on my exhaust as well. On my old 02 HD I ended up adding a couple of glasspacks in front of the muffler which killed the drone, but I think a resonator either before or after the muffler would have the same effect.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

You can solve this by using 1 or 2 short mufflers in line before your Magnaflow or whatever brand you are running. I've had good luck using the Dynateck Split Flow race series mufflers before my main muffler. They are only 14 inchec long and fit well in tight places. They don't kill your sound or power but they do take out the drone or dead RPM resonance.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Launching!

I was thinking about using some of these Cones , due to limited space before my muffler. Here is some one who has tried them. http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nes/index.html

Last edited by Scott Mills; 04-16-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Scott Mills
I was thinking about using some of these Cones , due to limited space before my muffler. Here is some one who has tried them. http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nes/index.html
That looks like it might possibly be a damn good idea. I would just put one of them in either where the y-pipe bolts to the catback or right before my muffler, that way I wouldn't have to hack up my nice SS Exhaust to put something in. I think if I could cut the resonance down by about half I would be very happy.

Quick Reply: 3" Stainless resonators