Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Sierra Denali 6 2l l9h VVT truck cam questions?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Sierra Denali 6 2l l9h VVT truck cam questions?!?

Morning.

(Tldr need help choosing what stage cam)
Current mods are a efi live tune, corsa sport exhaust, volant cold air.

I wanted to do a cam swap, texas speed cnc port and polish on existing heads, lifters, trunions, springs, seals, pushrods, gaskets, new bolts and everything else that comes with it.
got everything priced out on GPI watney and summit racing and texas speed for 4400 canadian.
Talked to the best shop in calgary that everyone gets their camaros done at and he said with labour and a tune itll be 6500cdn

Not spendin that. I worked on drilling rig for 12 years. So know my tools and big engines. Ive watched enough l9h/l92 cam swap videos on youtube with all the socket sizes and torques to spec etc....i feel confident doing it myself.

I cant get a reply back from anyone at texas speed or gpi watney. Been messaging them texas speed for months and gpi for weeks and nothing. I get their probably busy.

My trucks a daily driver. I want to keep the VVT. I want to build a naturally aspirated engine for now with the option to whipple supercharger later. This truck has been with me for 12 years and ill most likely have it for another 20.

I hear that gpi is the best truck vvt cam. I was thinking stage 2. And maybe get a torque converter later if necessary. Would get the 3 plate one if i did but dont wanna drop another 1500 cdn. They suggest a tc for the stage 2 but its not necessary.

Just wanted to know how many people.run these gpi vvt truck cams. Is texas speed better? I dont need something choppy and stupid. Id get a remote tune from gpi most likely.
i just want as much torque and hp as i can accross the board. Not sacrificing my low end.

Also is it possible to run a corvette stock torque converter on the denali? Itd be cheaper no? And sufficient?
the gears are 3.43 i beleive.

Any and all info appreciated thanks.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Stay with a "stage 2" camshaft in my opinion. It's the best for good power while maintaining good manners for the everyday driver. Easier to tune as well.

I think no matter what you should upgrade the converter, the stock 6L80e converter isn't that good and are known to fail which takes the transmission pump out. The corvette converter won't work but you can run a stock 6L90e converter. Those are better than a 6L80e converter.
The following 2 users liked this post by FFDP:
68Formula (02-08-2024), MackMurder (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,173 Likes on 893 Posts

Stage is just a word used to help categorize the cams. Sort of. Stage 2 truck is wildly different than stage 2 car. Really you need to look at the duration instead of the “stage”
Old 02-08-2024, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Stay with a "stage 2" camshaft in my opinion. It's the best for good power while maintaining good manners for the everyday driver. Easier to tune as well.

I think no matter what you should upgrade the converter, the stock 6L80e converter isn't that good and are known to fail which takes the transmission pump out. The corvette converter won't work but you can run a stock 6L90e converter. Those are better than a 6L80e converter.
OK cool i will definately rethink the converter then. They 6l90es look like their aroind 700 cdn. Thats not bad i can handle that.

Originally Posted by shakenfake
Stage is just a word used to help categorize the cams. Sort of. Stage 2 truck is wildly different than stage 2 car. Really you need to look at the duration instead of the “stage”
That makes sense, but I only have 3 options for a VVT truck cam realistically from GPI or texas speed.
Stage 1, 2 ,3 in VVT thats why i mentioned the stage.

My truck when in cruising at 100 kmh is at about 1500 rpm, when im at 130 kmh which im mostly driving at on the highway its at 1900rpm, so dont think i need a cam in the 800 to 1800 range as i dont spend much time down there. The stage 2 gpi describes at 2250 rpm seems more suitable to me and my application.
I want my power when im going to pass 10 cars in a line on the highway or smoking somebodys jacked up diesel at a light (which my truck can already do after its tune) just want a little more oomph in those instances .

If i could add more torque and horse accross the board without a really expensive torque converter with a non vvt truck cam i would.

But according to GPI and onallcylinders writeup of the L9H they suggest the VVT truck cam with a phaser producers more torque and power accross all bands.

Alot of people on the corvette forums also run the vvt cams love em.

However If someone can show me a side by side comparison off vvt truck to non vvt truck cam and the benefits id go with the best one obviously. Cant seem to find that info anywhere tho.

Last edited by Mike Mack; 02-08-2024 at 07:26 PM.