Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 GMC yukon xl 5.3 v8

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 GMC yukon xl 5.3 v8

So I'm trying to build up my Yukon make it different but have some power to now I'm not really looking for 9s runs but I do want to upgrade it. What are my options? And where can I find these I am having a hard time finding alot of aftermarket upgrades for this vehicle and I'm also looking to put it on bags so if you happen to know a good place to find those that would help alot thank you
Old 05-11-2019, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm gunna need some actual power goals and a budget.

The mods you can do are endless, like literally endless. That power plant is in everything for that era, so basically anything that adds power to a silverado or tahoe will add power to that yukon.

Camshafts, turbos, superchargers, headers and so on are all things you can do.

Your budget and real power goals will determine was you can buy. You do have to remember that as some point you will weak links that you need to be aware of. Like the factory rear diff locker does not like abuse and the 4L60e transmission in a super heavy truck will not like abuse or alot of extra power added.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So power wise I'm not sure. My buddy said my year of 5.3 can handle 650 and be safe and budget wise honestly I'm not even sure about that i know whatever i will be doing will be done either slowly or i will buy each thing one at a time and when i have everything put the puzzle together. I wanna see what my options are and plan. I was thinking about doing one of them big intake things forget what it is called but my buddy said the one I was looking at wont fit a square port? And said to message you guys for help I would like to do the intake route never seen a SUV with one of them under the hood and I want to do something different with my yukon
Old 05-11-2019, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Sure, they can handle 500-600hp but you'll be spending $10,000+ just to get there. A turbo, built trans, rear end upgrade, lots of fueling upgrades and so on. Likely 3x the value of the SUV lol.

"Big intake things", that's not doing much to help. To be honest, there is no reason to swap intakes just to swap them. Not if you can't spend the extra money to make the swap worth it. Also your truck has cathedral ports, not square ports.

This is just off the top of my head here:

Camshaft swap, figure it can add 40-50hp no problem. It's going to cost you $700-1000 depending on what you buy and all the extra stuff you need like oil, coolant, gaskets etc etc.

Exhaust like headers is probably $400-800 minimum depending on brand.

Cold air intake or similar is $100-250ish.

Custom tune for the mods you do, all depends on who does it and where you live. Could be $300 or it could be $500 for a tune.

I suggest lots of reading and educating yourself on this platform, you have a lot to learn if you really want to mod these vehicles.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Sure, they can handle 500-600hp but you'll be spending $10,000+ just to get there. A turbo, built trans, rear end upgrade, lots of fueling upgrades and so on. Likely 3x the value of the SUV lol.

"Big intake things", that's not doing much to help. To be honest, there is no reason to swap intakes just to swap them. Not if you can't spend the extra money to make the swap worth it. Also your truck has cathedral ports, not square ports.

This is just off the top of my head here:

Camshaft swap, figure it can add 40-50hp no problem. It's going to cost you $700-1000 depending on what you buy and all the extra stuff you need like oil, coolant, gaskets etc etc.

Exhaust like headers is probably $400-800 minimum depending on brand.

Cold air intake or similar is $100-250ish.

Custom tune for the mods you do, all depends on who does it and where you live. Could be $300 or it could be $500 for a tune.

I suggest lots of reading and educating yourself on this platform, you have a lot to learn if you really want to mod these vehicles.

Yep, but this is a great site to do your research and even find proven combos that take out all your guesswork. use the Search button at the top. Have fun.