Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

1.8 Roller Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer directly for Joe, but the rockers and the "trucker cam" are supposed to be incredible with a magnacharger.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:25 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by marc_w
I can't answer directly for Joe, but the rockers and the "trucker cam" are supposed to be incredible with a magnacharger.
is there anyone running this setup?
Old 09-10-2004, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

moregrip, it works great with all superchargers. More flow equals more power. The supercharger will be able to move the air more efficiently. The rockers will work even better when you add our cylinder heads and camshaft to the magnacharger. Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity for a plug.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:38 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Joe Vinci
moregrip, it works great with all superchargers. More flow equals more power. The supercharger will be able to move the air more efficiently. The rockers will work even better when you add our cylinder heads and camshaft to the magnacharger. Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity for a plug.
sheesh, it never ends......
Old 09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
is there anyone running this setup?
QuietTahoe has the 044 cam and 1.89 rockers on Crane/VHP dual springs. I put his PM'd thoughs in my 047 thread there...
Old 09-10-2004, 03:46 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by marc_w
QuietTahoe has the 044 cam and 1.89 rockers on Crane/VHP dual springs. I put his PM'd thoughs in my 047 thread there...
Check!
Old 09-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i am running the slp 1.85 rockers and i like them.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Worth it? That's a question only your pocketbook can answer. I've had a set of Comp Pro Mags on for several years now with great success. They are high quality and are made of steel. Slightly heavier than aluminum, but I was a little worried about going with aluminum altho I would have no problems at all with billet aluminum at this point. You can consider the Jesel shaft mounts. The are 1.8 whereas the Pro Mags are 1.85 and now there are some 1.89s available. Whoa, that's really getting up there. You will have to run higher lift springs with any of these rockers because of the increased lift. If you use stud mounts you'll need to upgrade to hardened pushrods because the guide plates will wear on the sides of the stock rods where they rub up against each other as the rockers try to swivel from side to side. Shaft mounts eliminate this problem. If you add this all up: rockers, pushrods, springs, labor it ain't cheap. For $200 I still think the ASP pulley is the best bang for the buck and not that much work and I've done all these mods and a whole lot more. Hey, it's only money and you only live once. Go ahead and whip out the credit card. The sponsors will thank you.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, I went with the Crane accelerated lift 1.8 rockers on my Tahoe because I had driven a similar Tahoe at VHP before and after the rocker change. There is a definite HP increase (on that truck-a 5.3, I think it was 15hp) but the throttle response increase was what was really impressive. The Crane rocker kit comes with rockers, screw in studs, pushrod guideplates and heavy wall pushrods. They fit under all 99 and newer valve covers without modifications and they give you infinite adjustability of the lifter preload (there is no changing of different pushrod lengths to get proper preload). As I understand it, due to the relatively low location of the pushrod seat, the 1.8 rockers start the valve off its seat at 1.89:1. As the pushrod moves the tail of the rocker up, it also moves it out on its operating arc. This causes the ratio to progressively change from 1.89 down to 1.82 by .250" net valve lift and it maintains the 1.82 ratio until the valve is within .250" of going back on the seat at which time the ratio progressively returns to 1.89:1. Supposedly this increases the duration at .200 net valve lift by as much as 4 to 5 degrees. This gives a 210* degree cam the short seat to seat timing required for a smooth idle and yet gives the performande of a 214-216* @ .050 cam. All I know is it works and the truck runs like Jack the Bear!! In addition, the whole valvetrain is as quiet as stock. I like it like that as it keeps my wife off my back. The 044 cam and the 1.8 Crane rockers are one of the best modifications (if not the best) that I have made in over thirty years of working with performance vehicles. It makes power, its subtle and quiet, great driveability, great fuel economy. Besides that, the installation that Roger Vinci's head tech, Greg, did was absolutely sano. Not a fingerprint, trace of sealant, cable out of place or anything. The best installation I have ever seen. You can't tell this engine was ever apart. Great job Roger, Greg and Joe!!!

One last thought, Roger Vinci and I have talked extensively about the high thermal expansion rate of aluminum blocks and heads with respect to steel valvetrain parts. These recommendations of .004-.010" lifter preload are crazy. You will absolutely end up with lash after the engine reaches operation temp, and that causes noise and is hard on the valvetrain. The old Chevy performance manuals use to warn about this all the time when using aluminum bowtie blocks and aluminum bow tie heads. I assume that that is why the factory sets .060 to .080 preload as well. If you try running .004-.010 preload the resulting lash at operating temps is going to hammer the valvesprings to oblivion. This has to be a much greater problem in Vettes and F-bodies because of the aluminum blocks. Maybe some of the "experts" on this site will check out some of the old Chevy manuals and learn why they are breaking springs!! Roger said he has never lost a valve spring on an LS1 with the deeper preload and he insists that the top end power is better!!
Old 09-11-2004, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

BTW, Crane also offers their rockers as 1.7s as well. The 1.7s start off the seat at 1.79 and progress to 1.72 at .250 net valve lift. I also understand that you can just buy either the 1.7s or 1.8s as rockers only without the rest of the kit parts if you all ready have screw in studs and guideplates!

Quick Reply: 1.8 Roller Rockers