Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 yukon denali "iDEAS" REMOVE THE AWD AND MAKE IT 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too em looking into buying the tail end of a 2wd trans and its driveshaft to delete the transfer case completely . The reason I need to do this soon is because the truck rolls if on a incline while in park ...I've been using my E brake and a wheel stop when needed ! I have noticed a big difference in the amount of times I see a gas station ever since . I to moved to south Florida and have no need for the AWD anymore . Let me know if you got the tail end and drive shaft how it worked out for you .
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The trans will have to be completely torn down to change the output shaft.

If removing the front diff, you will need to swap the front hubs to 2WD hubs.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Launching!

And people call me crazy for wanting and buying a 2wd NNBS. I told dealers id rather not deal with the maintenance and other stuff with 4wd and be able to buy any header set with out worry. I would also like to not have to deal with an axle when popping the oil pan for any reason. i live in Illinois and i took much joy in the funny faces i got from dealers. plus theres an extra cubby hole where the 4wd switch would be so i can put an exhaust cutout switch in there. Id say if your planning for some mods, get an 80e trans, a better drive shaft(on that fits of course) and swap hubs and tune the ABS, or get a bcm?, or ABS module thats for a 2wd and that sounds like it would be all? If your gonna swap parts, why not make sure its stuff you won't have to go back and do again when the power is too much
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My ABS does not even know I swapped from 4WD to 2WD. None of the sensors change so no issues there. The VSS just moves from the T-case to the trans and the 2WD hubs have the same wheel speed sensors as the 4WD hubs.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=elitecollection;5065793]I have a 02 denali xl and I was starting to have a problem with my transfer case which was the couplers starting to go up front . So I removed the front drive shaft 2 years ago and have been driving it like that perfectly fine ever since .[/QUOTE

Hey DrX

I have an 05 denali XL and my driver side front axl snapped in half disabling the whole thing from driving. Im pretty sure its because its AWD and it needs all 4 tires engaged for it to operate . I didnt know denali made a NON awd for the years 2001 to 2006. If so let me know. Other then that let me know how you are able to drive your AWD denali with no front axles. Thanks.

Last edited by 2005denali; 05-01-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: forgot to say who I was replying to.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

@elitecollection I think your transmission is toast. It would explain the increased fuel consumption and the rolling in park.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea you really shouldn't see a huge difference from 2wd to 4wd to AWD. It is all the same thing. If you look at it from a physics standpoint you are STILL putting down say 50HP at 55. Nothing changes that you need a certain amount of BTUs from the gas to drive the car. Now you could argue that you lose all the turning of things but you are talking 1-2MPG. You can buy A LOT of gas for the cost of the swap. Just my opinion though.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K Silvy
Yea you really shouldn't see a huge difference from 2wd to 4wd to AWD. It is all the same thing. If you look at it from a physics standpoint you are STILL putting down say 50HP at 55. Nothing changes that you need a certain amount of BTUs from the gas to drive the car. Now you could argue that you lose all the turning of things but you are talking 1-2MPG. You can buy A LOT of gas for the cost of the swap. Just my opinion though.
I hate to beat a dead horse, but, stop cheerleading. If he has a working 4wd trans he could sell it and buy a 2wd trans. Plus you get to sell a driveshaft, transfer case, and front diff/axles. Downgrading to 2wd will put money in his pocket if he does it right. If my 4wd 60e goes, I will buy a core 2wd 60e, have it fully built, and downgrade to 2wd and that will make the trans free when its all said and done, just my labor. Win/win. Lots of people don't want or need AWD.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Default awd problems

Originally Posted by elitecollection
I have a 02 denali xl and I was starting to have a problem with my transfer case which was the couplers starting to go up front . So I removed the front drive shaft 2 years ago and have been driving it like that perfectly fine ever since .

so it works if u disconnect the drive shaft
Old 05-13-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zombie thread!!!!!

Quick Reply: 04 yukon denali "iDEAS" REMOVE THE AWD AND MAKE IT 2WD