Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

00' 5.3 Siverado - EGR block off - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00' 5.3 Siverado - EGR block off - yes or no?

I used the search button but couldn't come up with a definitive answer so here goes...

I have a stock 5.3 with the air injection and EGR systems. I am about to start installing my ebay headers in anticipation of my BB tune on Mon and wanted to get some opinions.

Please advise whether or not I should block off my EGR valve? From what I have read, this feature actually conserves fuel? If I block it off, will I gain performance at the cost of fuel efficiency?

Right now, I plan to turn off EGR/air/rear 02 sensors and rear emission systems monitoring in the tune on Mon.

I'm aware of the smog issues and I have "worked" them out.

Thanks in advance fellas.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

I too know very little if any about the "mod" so please don't make your decision on my post alone.
Did some light reading to what Google's search provided and read a few "facts"...

1. EGR does not engage when idling.
2. EGR does not engage at WOT.

I believe there was a few more fun facts but those 2 caught my eye. If your looking for a performance answer, as to what I found/read, there is no need to block off the EGR as it will not hurt or add performance. GL
Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blocked mine off.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

A member here once wrote that by sooting up the inside of your intake and blowing hot exhaust gasses back into the cylinders that the EGR system somehow makes the engine run cooler and more efficient. whatever. I have taken the egr system off of all 3 Chevy engines I have owned when I added headers to them.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Evil Eric
A member here once wrote that by sooting up the inside of your intake and blowing hot exhaust gasses back into the cylinders that the EGR system somehow makes the engine run cooler and more efficient. whatever. I have taken the egr system off of all 3 Chevy engines I have owned when I added headers to them.
how can hot air make it run cooler?.. I think it heats up the air in your intake to somehow make less fuel fumes to go through your cats.. I added headers to my wifes maxima blocked off egr seems to do good but what do I know..
Old 03-20-2010, 07:42 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I ended up just running a bolt through fitting until I devise (have fabbed) a permanent block off. Also disabled the air injection system.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to rid the motor of that? I just took it off, the valve is still there, looking to get rid of that also, what did you guys use to block that off?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock like 05+ plug?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by neilownz
The stock like 05+ plug?
Umm, I dunno if it changes with years. Mine is a 00. I would think it would be the same.

Did some more searching and found freeze plugs. Gonna try those with a EHR block off plate.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

There is a stock plug for it. Can't remember where I got mine or part number or anything like that.
I do remember that I put my IAT sensor there. I still have the intake I will look at it tomorrow if I remember. I'd look now but it is in storage.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EGR has one function. It reduces NOX emissions. You will gain no performance by eliminating it.

Quick Reply: 00' 5.3 Siverado - EGR block off - yes or no?